General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sutck Caliper Piston?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Default Sutck Caliper Piston?

I've got an issue with my front brake/s. I just rebuilt the right caliper and replaced the front four pads with EBC racing.

First the front lever got really stiff, like there was a blockage or something. I stopped, turned the bike off, got off and rolled it back and forth to check for grabbing, but didn't notice any. I squeezed the lever pretty hard, then it seemed to move a little more freely.

After work, I got on the bike again and had maybe 1/2 the pressure I should, but the lever was moving - too far, really. I checked for leaks and didn't see any.

I'm guessing there's some junk in the caliper, something keeping the piston from moving freely. My plan is to take it apart and clean it, bleed, and button it up. Any other advice?

Thanks

KB

1984 GPz750, stripped of anything unnecessary and opened up with pods, big jets and a Kerker 4-1 feeding a 2.5" Supertrapp.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Does sound like a caliper is sticking...could be a burr in the bore. Generally, if one caliper has to be rebuilt/replaced, good idea to do it in pairs on the front.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM

You know, come to think of it, I didn't even get that side off. I wasn't planning on replacing simply because it was operating fine - the right one was stuck though. I was short on cash, and just didn't have another $40 for the left piston, so I figured I'd take it apart and clean it up. I didn't have enough pressure in the system to push the piston out, and I couldn't free it even with a vise grip, so I cleaned it up as best I could with it as far out of the bore as possible. It was working great for a while - I guess some crap must have built back up in there. Time to go ahead and replace it I suppose.