General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sputters, but barely runs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sputters, but barely runs.

Ha Ha Ha !!! That's Awesome.... I had to go try it!!

Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yep, corona will kill it for sure. lmao, especially given that way.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ha HA Ha!! LMAO!! You're right.. don't do it. I tried it. Test drove it. It took me to a mexican food restaurant. I knew it was a real mexican food place, because when I sat down, the waiter brought me a glass of water, and then told me not to drink it!!! j/k......

Old 03-05-2006, 10:01 PM

so i start the bike up yesterday for a moment.. and it made a squealing noise.. so i shut it off.
now the thing wont even turn over.. its got enough power for all the lights and whatnot..
i put the battery on the charger too see if that helps.. i wish my multi-meter still worked!

Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

On mine I put it on charge for about 5 mins hooked up to the bike and then it starts.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:54 AM

weird... i let it charge and it still didn't turn over.. so i took off the valve cover to make sure nothing was broken.
then i turned the crankshaft over a few times by hand.. the engine rotates well enough. i hooked up the battery again and tried startin it, and now it turns.. i still have some stuff off, so i didn't start it up... i'm not sure what the deal was with that..

Old 03-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Maybe you have a "dead" spot on the starter or fly. If it does it again, keep her in gear and rock her back and forth a little bit. Have you tried to drive the bike again?

Also, with it running, you might add some BG or some Berryman fuel system treatment to the tank to clean off those valves and internal parts you might have missed during cleaning... I add about 25% of the bottle of Berrymans to mine every 3rd tank or so, just to keep her clean. JMO tho'

Old 03-06-2006, 07:03 PM

yeah, i've been told to use fuel treatment in the tank to keep it all nice and clean.. I haven't tried dricing it again yet. I need to put back the vaccum valve and the ignition coils. The tires on it are pretty worn too, but i'm going to put that stuff back on and try again later today, as long as the weather doesn't turn all crappy.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am curious on that "squealing". But a low voltage will cause popping and low revs also. I agree get your volt meter fixed. Curious to see if the alternator is working correctly.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 AM

ok.. well, i tried going for another ride today, and yet again it has power problems..
guess what? It also leaks oil and a good rate, right out on the exhaust!! I haven't pinpointed
exactly where it's leaking from, but obviously one of the gasgets are bad.. lets assume that it
is not the head gasket.. would lower than normal oil pressure cause it to run like crap?

its too bad it didn't have enough power to pull me back up the hill.. even with it leaking oil,
i didn't have a choice but to hop off the bike and run with it with the clutch half out.

now comes the time to take off all of the front fairings and radiator... fun...

Quick Reply: sputters, but barely runs.