General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sputters, but barely runs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:20 AM
Default sputters, but barely runs.

So i took everyone's advice and cleaned my carbs again.. i know for a damn fact that the jets are clean as a whistle.. The fist time i forgot to clean out the float valves, but i blew all the crap out of those too.. I restset the floats too to let in more gas.. I have them set to that the middle of the floats are flush with the top of the gas bowl.. before they would shut off and even hit the bottom of the little spring on the valve before the floats would go all the way up.. As for the pilot air screw: They can only be turned 13 rotations in, and they were set to ten, so i set them all that way..

So i put it all beack together today.. And it actually started..kind of.. I had it idling around 1k rpms for a minuet, but i shut it off because i didn't have coolant in it.. I have it a little gas to see if it would rev, it didn't pass 3k.. Some people told me it may not run well when cold.. So i put some water in it.. Now the damn thing sputters when i try to start it.. starts with starting fluid, but i can't run off of that. choke doesn't do any good either.. I know the battery is kind of crappy, its been drained before, but its the only one i have, so i'm recharging it..
anyone have any ideas?

Gotten be running lean, huh? does the pilot screw, when turned clockwise to shut the vavle.. does the shut off air or fuel.
all my manual tells to me to is take it to the damn dealer

Old 03-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sputters, but barely runs.

It just sounds like you are starving for fuel.. but why? It's like they say, if it's got $#@&& or wheels, you're going to have a prob with it. My wife's staring over my shoulder, so I had to put that in there I don't know. You have a fuel tank, it go to the fuel filter, to the carbs, air/fuel mix to the engine. vvrroooommm. Maybe the vent is blocked and it is vacuum locked??? have you tried running it with the gas cap open? Are all the gas lines free of bugs, dirt, etc. You can blow through lines with no restriction? I bought a used bike that had been sitting awhile, and there were bugs stuck in the bottom of the fuel tank. Is the fuel petcock functioning properly. Sometimes the rubber gasket inside the petcock gets fubar'ed and could cause a fuel starvtion prob. it sounds like you are pretty sure about carbs, so eliminate all the rest of the fuel system. I bet somebody on here has had the same prob and might be able to help a little better... The bad thing, it's probably something simple...

Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I just read your previous post. It sounds like, with the rust prob you've got: new lines, filter,carb kits, tank cleaned and dipped, new petcock, etc. Replace your vacuum lines, rubber hoses. I think Dragone said about this same thing on last post. I'm kinda curious as to how far you are going to get on this thing. Let us know....

Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure what the deal is. I know my fuel filter isn't great, but its pretty clear and it flows. The fuel line after the filter and to the carbs is band-new. I gotta couple feelt of tubing just in case. I could blow through the line with no gas in it. Thats how i was priming the carbs with gas too, just to make sure, but i the flow stopped i think because the float bowls are full. I did take the fuel tap apart before.. It really was gunked up, but i got it out of there. When i press the little button on it, it drains, and stops when i let it go. I assume the other hole on it is a vaccum to open it when running? I think there's supposed to be a filter on top of that too, but there isn't one. I washed the tank out with water the first day i got it and let it dry out.. I'm not really sure how dirty it really is in there, i don't hear any debries.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Are we even sure that the fuel pump is pushing fuel?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 AM

fuel pump? there is no fuel pump on this.. its not fuel injected.
so i finally go the damn thing started. it would ilde around 1.5k rpms, and it would die if i have it gas. It would ilde smoother at about 2k rpms with the choke, and i could only rev the engine to about 5k rpms before it would bog down and die unless i released the throttle and choke.. I let it idle for about 10 minutes to let it warm up a little, but that didn't have much affect. So i took the carbs apart again! but at least now I'm getting the hang of it. main jets are clear.. pilot jet holes are smaller than a sewing needle, but the hole is clear, i can see and blow through them. i adjusted the floats. the pilot screws are about 2.5 turns from all the way in..
Put it all back together again, and it starts fine.. but throttle still kills it..

Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

At least it's better than what it was. It seems like everytime you mess with it, she gets better. Not enough fuel? too much air?? Is there an accelerator pump on the carbs? you got me. If I reached that point, I would grab a 6 pack, I mean a 12 pack of Corona, call a couple of friends, and get a different perspective on it. There is nothing worse than frustration!!

Good luck, man...

Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 PM

ha! ya, its too bad my friends don't know crap about mechanics.
okay, here's the real deal. I'm running it without the airbox right now.. It turns out, there's not enough fuel pressure in the high rpm area. When i blow on the fuel line when its running, I can rev and it sounds fine! but i KNOW that the main jets, the air thingy its on, the needle, and needle jets are all clean. what's the deal?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: flyboy110b

fuel pump? there is no fuel pump on this.. its not fuel injected.
so i finally go the damn thing started. it would ilde around 1.5k rpms, and it would die if i have it gas. It would ilde smoother at about 2k rpms with the choke, and i could only rev the engine to about 5k rpms before it would bog down and die unless i released the throttle and choke.. I let it idle for about 10 minutes to let it warm up a little, but that didn't have much affect. So i took the carbs apart again! but at least now I'm getting the hang of it. main jets are clear.. pilot jet holes are smaller than a sewing needle, but the hole is clear, i can see and blow through them. i adjusted the floats. the pilot screws are about 2.5 turns from all the way in..
Put it all back together again, and it starts fine.. but throttle still kills it..
I have 2 carbureted bikes and they both have fuel pumps.

I know I may be backing up here but your pilot jets, can you see through them? Not just the rows of holes near the bottom of them but actually through one end to the other. Can you run a wire through them?

Mains do not kick in until higher rpms, so I keep thinking your pilot jets which are for idle and low rpm. Also af mixture turn them in all the way clockwise and then turn them out 2 turns. Make adjustments from there ½ turn at a time. I would try more out before I went in.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:15 PM

No fuel pump on this one.. its gravity fed. About the pilot jets. The opening hole is the smallest i've ever seen.No where near the size of the main jet. Its only the size of a pin head, BUT i can see through it, and I can blow through it.. I don't know what rpm range is it supposed to work for, but it work up two about 3k. But when i blew on the fuel line to give it a little more pressure (too much would kill it) it runs fine. i don't really know about it,so I've got the carbs off and in my car. I'm gonna take it to the dealership and see what they think.. too bad i don't have the money to pay them to work on it.

Quick Reply: sputters, but barely runs.