General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

???'s about my bike....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Default ???'s about my bike....

OK,
Here is the low down,I have an 017R with just under 18,000 miles on it
I had a Dynojet jet kit in her last season and a new can for some sound. At start up when I get off work (7 am)
she seems to run rich,some times a tint of blue when you gas it. Once it warms just a bit all that goes away,I am looking at a full muzzy
exhaust and a ignition advancer.? is will I have to do anything to the carbs again??

And is it hard to do the advancer? Ihad someone do the carbs just so I didnt mess anything up. I can and do work on all my own cars but this is my bike and I want it to run perfectly .

Thanks Scott.[8D]

Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ???'s about my bike....

Scott, if you use your bike on a daily driver basis, I would think twice about the ignition advancer. It will make the bike run hotter, and shorten it's life a little. If it is a drag or track bike, then go for it. The last advancer I used I had to reclock the crank with a different keyway... Just my .02

Anyway, blue smoke usually means oil burning. Fuel burning is black, and white smoke is usually coolant, maybe oil... For the blue smoke, if it is oil burning, what kind of oil are you runing? And what weight? Did it just start smoking? What color are your plugs?

If you do the full system and advancer, of course a filter, then yes, redo the carbs....

Burning blue smoke, when she is cold, and then goes away sounds like you have oil seeping into the combustion chamber, and when she warms up, the oil gets burnt and she quits smoking... Usually bad valve oil seals. If it is the guides, then when you romp on it, it will smoke. If it does not smoke, then it is seals. If it is indeed, blue oil smoke...

Let us know, bro.....

Old 08-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scott

OK,
Here is the low down,I have an 017R with just under 18,000 miles on it
I had a Dynojet jet kit in her last season and a new can for some sound. At start up when I get off work (7 am)
she seems to run rich,some times a tint of blue when you gas it. Once it warms just a bit all that goes away,I am looking at a full muzzy
exhaust and a ignition advancer.? is will I have to do anything to the carbs again??

And is it hard to do the advancer? Ihad someone do the carbs just so I didnt mess anything up. I can and do work on all my own cars but this is my bike and I want it to run perfectly .

Thanks Scott.[8D]

What is the history on this ride? 18k miles, but how was the compression checks or the valve lash on the 16k check?

Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM

[8D] I am the only owner of the bike,bought new in Aug.02.
I've road her hard but never I mean never did I abuse my bike. The oil was always changed arond 2500
miles .And I put new plugs in it every spring. The compresion was good but i do not have any numbers to tell as I take it to a local bike shop to have it done.
He also checked the valves and I do know that there was some adjusting to them also.

Please dont think me a squid here but I never worked on a bike so I didnt want to hurt my girl by anything going wrong.
The guy I go to is always busy and has a very good repore with people,as his shop does brisk buisness.

Thanks Scott.

Oh and I use MAXUM4 10 -40......havent pulled the plugs yet,been working 7 days a week again 12hr. days[:@]
any help is cool guys,,thanks[8D]

Old 08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A full system means a definite retuning of the carbs.