General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

removal or stickers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Default removal or stickers

what's the easiest way to do this.............i tried taking them off and they won't even partially come off.........also what's the easiest way to check/change air filter. i read manual but it was talking about spark plugs, spark plug covers, etc. thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: removal or stickers

wow, I am lost. "removal or stickers", then the air filter question. It would be nice if you listed on what ride you are talking about.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

if you are trying to get decals/stickers off your bike moderate application of a heat gun and patience is required. You can then use Goo-gone to remove any residual adhesive.

It would be nice to know what bike you have so that we can point you in the right direction to remove the air filter.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:17 AM

04 ninja 500

Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

To pull the airfilter out of a 500 you will have to remove the gas tank. I'm trying to recall all the steps from memory so don't hate me if I miss something....

remove the seat
Remove the large bolt at the back of the tank
Remove the screws that attach the front fairing to the tank.
Remove the fuel line from the petcock to the carbs (carefull not to spill gas everywhere)
if you have a CA emissions bike there are two hoses at the front of the tank on the right side between the headtube and the coolant overflow. Remove those, plug the one with red tape with a golf tee or something or gas will leak out of it when you move the tank.
Remove the tank.
Then you can get to the top of the airbox to remove the cover and get to your air cleaner.

You can clean the stock element with water, be sure to let it dry thoroughly then hit it with some fram air filter oil or equivalent.
Replace Filter
Replace tank (note: there are two rubber bushings on the frame between the hadlebars and the seat, make sure those are in place before you try to replace the tank. Mine have a tendency to come loose when removing the tank and the tank is hard to mount if those bushing are misaligned or just plain missing).
Hook up all your hoses
Screw everything down
Replace seat
Go for a ride.

That should do it.

Other side note: I've heard it said that the EX runs best with the stock filter. THe bikes run rather lean and the extra airflow of say a K&N filter will cause the bike to run rather poorly.

Best of luck

Old 08-20-2006, 08:45 AM

thanks for the tips, well i have a muzzy exhaust and it already runs lean so i need to get a jet kit and a high flow air filter, i may put off the jet kit til next year since i only have about a month of riding left