General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

petcock question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:07 AM
Default petcock question

My question is concerning the petcock(i think that is what it is called). When I put it in the "run" position no gas comes out. I'm curious, shouldn't the gas be coming out the bottom, or is a vacuum needed. I know this may seem like a stupid question, however I have taken apart the peacock and all looks good. The bike that is concerned here is 94 250 ninja. Thanks for any help. and laughs for this dumb question.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: petcock question

Hehe you edited it didn't you....before I could tease you. Just kidding man, hey how much gas do you have in the tank. If you have plenty or even a full tank, your main flow on the petcock could be plugged, but not very likely. Try and put it in the reserve position and see what happens.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh I forgot,......Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Yeah I did some looking around and saw I was completely off on the name. In reserve or run it doesn't let any gas out. I took the petcock apart, and I think I may know what is wrong with it. On the back of the petcock there is a gasket with a little spring pushing on a little plug. I think the gasket has lost it's flexablility, resulting in no gas able to pass through the petcock. That is the only thing I can think of, because I removed the filter on the end of the small pipes, and still no gas passes through.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Does it look anything like this?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it possible that 43049 is not in the right position? Maybe it's not turning when you turn the lever.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for your help Deej. I love those bike bandit diagrams. I got it going with a little tweak of the daiphram. So it is now giving gas when in the appropriate positions. Once I got the gas flowing it was very hard to start. I also took the carbs off and removed the bowls and cleaned out some disgusting looking gas from inside. After recharging my battery twice, I finally got my roommate to drag me around the block in my truck. It started up and ran like a champ. Cleaning the carb has made the world of difference in that bike. I let it idle for over ten minutes with out it dying out.

I'm still an FNG however. I went for a ride last night. Got a mile down the road and the bike started acting funny again. After it died and I had worn the battery back down, I realized my critical error. I had forgotten to turn the petcock to RUN.[sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]. Freakin IDIOT!!! Can't wait to try and get it started tomorrow. I see a battery charger purchase in my near future.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahahaha, gotta love those trickle chargers. But congrats in your progress.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:35 PM

I would have reccomended to plug the pulse line back in...The petcock meters the fuel to the carbs..My ZX600 Ran like **** with a BS Lawnmower gastank but wiht a ****** rigged 1970 Kawsaaki F7 gastank which has a pulse petcock it runs beutiful....the petcock on the stock tank is fubar..just pisses gas out..Im hoping that the one i just got will work...

and your battery died while riding? Not good.. Should buy a new one.. and if that doesnot remedy the situation then ya gotta replace the charging coils...

Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Canam Harry

and your battery died while riding?
It wasn't the battery dying. It was me being an FNG and forgetting to turn the petcock to run.

I figured it out and have the parts on order. Right now, with the tweaking I did on the current petcock, it is just letting gas flow. This is flooding the engine, and there for killing the engine. I went from one end(no gas) to the other end(too much gas). I'm going to replace the daigharm, spring, and seal on the back of the petcock. By doing this the vacuum tube should become effective, therefore cutting down on the gas flow to a trickle. We'll see how it turns out.

Quick Reply: petcock question