General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Over heating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Over heating problem?

As long as the fan comes on, I would not be worried too much about it. Now if the fan is running and it still climbs, that may be a diff. issue.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joe00zx

Well, I let it sit after getting home from work today and it rose to about 220 and when the fan kicked on it still continued to rise.
How high did it go?

Old 10-06-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

After the fan turned on it still went up to 225-230 but I shut the bike off when it almost got to 230.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I let it sit after getting home from work today and it rose to about 220 and when the fan kicked on it still continued to rise. I might have to take it to a shop to get the mixture checked because I don't have a replair manual yet.
I was sitting at a rail road crossing and the temp would climb about 1 degree every 20 seconds.
to check the mix go to an auto parts store and buy a cheap tester should be no more than $5 and looks like a big eye dropper with multi colored ***** in it. Its the easiest thing to check but I dont really think the mix is the problem. I would agree with everyone else on either the fluid level or the thermostat.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I should just take it to a local shop and get all fluid checked and replaced. That can't cost to much to have done, right?

Old 10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think I should just take it to a local shop and get all fluid checked and replaced. That can't cost to much to have done, right?
Your rights until they tell you need a new radiator, thermostat and fan for 685.00 and then just clean yours and put in the new 25.00 thermostat.

I say if you have the ability to do it yourself, if not be very weary of the stealership. Question everything they are not there to be your friend but to separate you from as much cash from your wallet as possible.

All the above mentioned things are not hard to test.

Thermostat: run bike and watch temp gauge, the radiator cap needs to be off. When the bike gets up to about 180 the fluid should start moving in the radiator, if so thus means that the thermostat is open and the water is circulating through the cooling system.

Test the antifreeze, should be 50/50 if not drain and refill. Weak mix or just water will run hotter than the proper 50/50 mix.

Ask for more help if you need it there are a lot of skilled people here who service there own bikes and they can help you.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help nostock, I am going to go to barns and noble to get a service repair manual and see if I can't do the work myself.

The local shop around here isn't actually a dealership but it's just a repair and accessories shop. They actually help you if you have a problem instead of trying to rip you off and they even suggest to do your own work if it is easy enough. Very helpful people at this shop.

Are there any service manuals I can download online or will I have to go buy one?

Old 10-07-2006, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, in anticipation of the zx7 I was getting last weekend, I bought, downloaded, printed and bound a service manual. I guess I could be really nice and let you download it - but it is a HUGE file... 180some megabytes, prints out to 364 pages.

If you are in Chicagoland or southeast wisconsin I can get it to you printed... otherwise let me know and I will put it on my web server. Will take quite a while, even with broadband - for you to download.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I am in Florida so I am not near you, but if you are kind enough to allow me to download the manual I would be more then grateful. I wont be able to get the manual from B&N untill the end of this month so this will help me get a jump on the work.
My break fluid is looking a little nasty so I will have to bleed and refill the breaks too. I don't want to touch anything until I get a manual so I don't mess anything up.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Are you sure that all air is purged from the cooling system and the Radiator is thoroughly clean? But still check the mix.

Quick Reply: Over heating problem?