General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Might lose my bike :'(

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Might lose my bike :'(

I finally got my friend to take my bike into the shop for me (I am in california for a summer internship and my bike is in Illinois). Unfortunately, on the way to the shop (one of the many attempts to bring it in, long story) the radiator decided it should start leaking... And of course it wasn't the $30 thermostat...

Now, they have to replace the radiator ($540 for a new rad +$200 labor) before the guys can take it out and try to figure out why it keep cutting power at higher RPM's and almost instantly cutting the power back on (VERY DANGEROUS, especially when i'm trying to accelerate in front of a semi while merging, or laying the bike through a super tight highspeed turn). I might be looking at another possible one to two grand if it turns out to be a drivetrain problem...

Unfortunately when the shop called me today I was standing outside my boss's boss's boss's office so I couldn't talk about options... and they were closed by the time I got off work (**** time zones... Even they seem to be conspiring against me...) I'm hoping they will be able to just crimp whatever line is leaking, or possibly just jam a ****-ton of JB Weld around whatever the problem seems to be coming from... Just do some quick fix so they can take it out and tell me how deep of a hole I'm going to be in...

If they can't I get to choose between selling my bike as either a parts bike, or to someone who has the time-money to fix it (aka get BONED into getting zilch cash for my baby that I paid almost $5k for and only rode for two years... Keeping in mind these were years in the midwest where we only get to ride for less than half of the year...) or let it rot in my garage until the END of NEXT summer when I can afford to pump more money into it, and hope that I do a good enough job draining all the fluids and keeping everything from turning to **** from just sitting there...

Anyone have any other ways out of my pickle?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Cutting power at high revs sounds like an electrical problem. $200 labour to replace a radiator is about 3 hours labour. That seems a lot.

Don't drain all the fluids before you store it. The cooling system needs the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant, and you should do an oil change before lay-up (old oil etches plain bearing surfaces during lay up). Fill the fuel tank to prevent condensation forming. There is a good argument for shutting off the fuel supply and running the engine until it dies to clear the rest of the fuel system of petrol. If you drain brake fluid you'll spend a week trying to get the air out the system when you refill it.

You give the impression that you don't know much about repairing or maintaining bikes, so watch that you're not ripped off.

Rob

Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

A radiator is usually an easy fix, once you've laid out the cash for a new one. Have you considered installing yourself? It sounds like you'd save a bundle.

If I had that much money invested in a bike that I loved, I'd just set it aside until I had the money to fix it. Why take a bath selling it, and then take another bath buying another one when you're able?

Change the oil, put in some fuel stabilizer, run it for a few minutes, top off the tank and park it. Overinflate the tires or put it up on jacks, and wait for your financial situation to improve.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

dont make rush decsissions. you will find a way.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I would hold off till you get back and are able to check it out yourself.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Agree^. Don't get rid of it just because you have been given dealer prices to get it fixed. Replacing a rad is NOT difficult. There should be a few rads around you could get for a reasonable price. The rest of the problems don't sound too terrible; probably some guys from the forums (here) who live close enough to lend a hand on the repairs.
Hang onto it. Get it home, and build up the repair budget.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I think holding onto it and when you have the opportunity to reavaluate, then make your decision.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

problem 1) I'm in california for a summer internship and my bike is in chicago.
2) I'm a poor college student and don't want all of my summer earnings to be pumped into my bike...
3) Part of the $200 was for diagnosing that the radiator was leaking, and not a hose, or the cap...
4)Also, they won't just JB Weld it or quick fix it so they can diagnose the second problem because if the quick fix fails during the road test and gets on the rear tire they might be replacing my bike that they crash...
5) I could replace a radiator blindfolded, but I can't diagnose the other problem. I've heard electrical, I've heard drivetrain, they think its fuel injectors... And when I finally get back to chi-town I don't want the precious few weeks before the sky dumps snow on us spent with my baby in the shop...

I was a little hasty before but I was freaking out over sticker shock... Thanks for the tips to keep it topped off as opposed to draining everything...

While I'm here, will an '04 ZX6R radiator fit my '03? found a used one for $120... Much better than $540...

Last edited by Jacked; 08-01-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

it should...make sure the tabs are good...

Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

While I'm here, will an '04 ZX6R radiator fit my '03? found a used one for $120... Much better than $540...
Same part numbers: 39061-0010

Quick Reply: Might lose my bike :'(