General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help, I need a little advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Default Help, I need a little advice.

I don't have much time to research for the bike I'm thinking about purchasing will be sold to someone very soon. Hopefully it will be me because the person is selling it for $300.00. This will be my first bike. I know people say a lot about not having a 600 as your first bike. But for $300.00 how can you pass it up, even to fix it up and sell it? Here is what I know about it so far.

It is 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 with 2x,000 miles. I am going to check it out on Thursday (5/11/06)at 5pm.
The person told me it is a 600cc that last ran in 03. The banjobolt was tightened to tight which cracked the oil casing. He said it has a clean title. It also needs a front tire and battery.

I don't know anything about motorcycles and what it cost to fix them. Based on what I know so far, does anyone think its worth it? cracked oil casing on a 1986, would i have to get the engine replaced? Would that be worth it? How much on average does it cost to replace the cracked oil casing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1109/7590A50396384DCBBAA18487E690825A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help, I need a little advice.

Well, it has not been ran in 3 years.. there is going to be a fuel and carb problems. Tires are probably toast. Fork seals are probably gone. All lever adjustments, etc, would have to be done.. On top of the cracked crankcase, which is $800 for that bike.. In my opinion, it's probably a good parts bike. With the amount of money you would have to put into that thing to get it dependable and fixed right, you can buy a bike in a lot better shape for less money...JMO, but I would sure think twice man..

Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

Well, it has not been ran in 3 years.. there is going to be a fuel and carb problems. Tires are probably toast. Fork seals are probably gone. All lever adjustments, etc, would have to be done.. On top of the cracked crankcase, which is $800 for that bike.. In my opinion, it's probably a good parts bike. With the amount of money you would have to put into that thing to get it dependable and fixed right, you can buy a bike in a lot better shape for less money...JMO, but I would sure think twice man..
Couldnt have said it better myself, but if ya really want it go for it, but try to offer him less... see where he stands on the price.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Is this the crush washer/banjo bolts to the engine for the oil? That you are describing?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ya, I guess if we knew exactly what part, it would help..lol lol... here's a schemtic if you can point it out to us...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1248/52DFE58341C346D9AC465BCE9DE80D37.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

well, that didn't work out!! lol... let's try this..

Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I haven't even seen the bike yet, I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Not knowing anything about motorcycles doesn't help either, I was just thinking I may (MAY?) be getting a good deal. There is that saying you get what you pay for and I don't know how many times I looked back and thought.. Damn.. if only I hadn't purchased it and saved up a few extra bucks and bought something else. I don't know whats broken, the guy just told me.. the oil casing is broke from tighting the banjo bolt to hard. I don't even know what a banjo bolt is..lol.

On a side note..Would 300 bucks be a good deal for a parts bike? Like a need a heap of Junk, cuz I don't...just curious? I'm attaching a photo of the bike. This photo and what I've described to the best I know how is all I know of this bike until Thursday at 5. Then I can probably point out what is broken thanks to the diagram provided by Big rig wheeler. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I just want an inexpensive motorcycle to learn on. Under a 1000 would be ideal. I have a cousin who went thru something similar, the guy couldn't get the bike running. My cousin bought it, switched the title into his name. Filed the spark plug ends and the bike started right up and they guy was TICKED OFF because that's all it was and he wished he never sold it to him. I know the chances of getting something similar are very slim.. Like Big rig wheeler said.. That one part is $800 alone.. Thanks once again for everything.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:26 PM

I think so from how the person has described it.. crushed oil casing/banjo bolt.??

Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If so $300 is a lot of money for a fixer with that scenario. You would not be riding for awhile because of fixing it. If the previous owner does not use a torque wrench, what else did he "fix?"

and I really am not trying to rain on your parade. I am just brainstorming with ya is all.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

If you dont know anything about motorcycles....dont do it. I could probably get it running for pretty cheap, but I would be replacing all the seals, wheels, batterys, fluids, weld up the crack. For me to do it for someone else....your talking probably $2500 or so.....more if you go to the stealership.

Quick Reply: Help, I need a little advice.