General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Default Help !!!

I have a kawasaki 300 Bayou i was cleaning the KEIHIN CVKcarb becasue the atv has been sitting for about 2 yrs well after i everything was clean inoticed on the fuel inlet elbow part that goes into the carb had a little crack on the bottom... i need to know if maybeJBWELD could fix the problem or do i need to go buy a new carb that is going to run me about $300.00. so if anyone can help please do.. Thank you Robert

Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help !!!

Can you post a pic of this? Because all carbs have replacement parts on the fiche, so buying a new carb may not be necessary.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I used a product back in the early 80's called Marine Tex, that stuff was amazing. You can even drill and tap it. Its pretty strong stuff. But I would look into the parts list. What year is the Bayou?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Does that help?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with this model and carb setup (maybe some other posters have more knowledge on this) but before using JB, I'd make sure it's the problem and try something just a little less permanent. Without really knowing what the part looks like, I'll make a couple of suggestions. If it's a "cast" part, as in made out of pot metal or dull grey stuff,and leaks fuel, then it needs to be repaired. JB or some fuel resistant epoxy would be ok. Just make sure it doesn't ooze into the fuel path and clog it (or worse). If it's not leaking, but perhaps letting air into the fuel inlet and therefore reducing your fuel flow, (just to test it) I'd clean the area around the crack with some alcohol on a rag/swab, then use some very sticky tape (3M electrical tape will seal a vacuum crack) to stop the air leak. If that improves the situation, then go ahead and use the JB or epoxy. OR....
Is it one of those typical brass-looking fuel inlettubes that appears to have a "press-in" fitting where it seats into the carb? (Almost like a thin outer bushing?) If so, you can likely just replace the tube. I wouldn't mess with JB or other goop on a tube that thin; probably won't work.
You may want to give us a few more details before you do anything. Does it leak fuel? (Maybe a stupid question; I know.)How does it actually malfunction? If possible, take a pic and post it for us.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Whoa! Drag and Deej beat me to the post!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

trying to picture the quote of
inoticed on the fuel inlet elbow part that goes into the carb had a little crack on the bottom
I do not see it on this fiche.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej and his "back in the 80's" tales. I love them!

Go with JB. It should work fine.