General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First start after winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Default First start after winter

So, I'm home for like two weeks before I head back to London. First week I had the worst flu I've ever had... (No, not bird flu)

It's been about 30-35 degrees out, but yesterday it was nice and clear, so I figure I'll pull the bike out and give her a go. I've missed her so much while I've been away. Only thing is, when I winterized her, I didn't disconnect the battery, or manage to hook up a battery tender before I left, so I'm afraid she won't have enough juice to turn over. I put in the key, and the guage lights come to life, just as bright as ever, so at leat I know she's got some juice left over.

I set the fuel valve to ON, pull the choke, get on, and hit the starter. I can hear her turn over again and again, but no love. Sounds like it's either flooded or there's no fuel, or no spark, so I stop for a few minutes, thinking what the problem might be. I did add some fuel stabilizer before I put her away, so I'm hoping she's not gummed up. It is damned cold, so that might be it, and I am a bit rusty, having not seen my baby for a while...

I double-check the fuel valve, yep, it's on, spin it back and forth a bit, just to be sure... This goes on again and again for what's probably 15-20 different attempts, all the while I'm trying to figure out what the hell the problem is, and I fear that the battery is getting weaker with each attempt. Finally, from the back of my mind I remember reading somewhere that if left to sit for a while, especially with the cold temps, a slight vacuum can form in the fuel tank, preventing any gas from reaching the engine. So I open and close the gas cap to relieve any vacuum that might be there, and give her and give it another try.

She actually sputters once or twice, though I can tell the battery is getting very low. Common baby, you can do it... Start, start, start! No love, a couple more coughs, only now the battery is so low that I can see the instrument panel cutting out during crankover. SO CLOSE!!! SO CLOSE!!! Damn, if only I was smart and popped the gas cap earlier, I _know_ she would've started.

Oh well, I decide to call it quits, and head out to the nearest store to pick up a battery tender, since I should've had one anyway. Only problem is the cord isn't long enough. It's now about 4:30, and it's still winter out here, so it gets dark pretty early. COMMON! Head over to the store AGAIN to pick up an extension cord, finally get home, hook it up, and plug her in. Charging... Good.

Wait another half hour, it's dark now, but damnit, I have to see if she'll start. Disconnect the tender, key, fuel valve, starter, VROOM! first try, she kicks right over. I'm both happy and sad that she's running, but I've missed my chance to ride for the day. Normally, I wouldn't mind riding at night at all, but it's been cold enough out here that there are several patches of ice all around, and I'd rather not chance it in the dark.

I'll take some pictures of the battery tender install, very simple and easy.. but it keeps my bike battery happy. And now I don't even have to take my seat off to plug it in. Best of all, next time I know she'll run. So, moral of the story... If your bikes been sitting a while, you may need to pop the gas cap to get it to start... Do this BEFORE you kill the battery...

Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: First start after winter

Thanks for that Gerg! I tried to start mine around x-mas cause my uncle was visiting and I wanted him to hear it running. The battery was good, but she wouldn't start. We gave up - I'll have to remember to pop open the gas tank!

Well at least you know she's not mad at ya for being gone so much!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 11:51 PM

I figured she was pissed at me... Leaving her all alone in that cold, cold garage.

I guess I know for sure my bike's a woman now... Definately takes a little while to get her motor running and warmed up, but once it is... look out!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Leaving her all alone............in the cold.............she should've been pissed! But you love her, and she knows it, so I guess she couldn't stay mad for long!!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Winter is over?

Old 02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Winter is over?
I friggin wish it was!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

me too, it was 41 degrees here this morning. buuuurrrrrrr.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

thats a heat wave compared to what it has been here. The other day it was 8*F, we have a high of 18 today.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'll trade ya temps any day!!! 41 would be tank top and shorts weather

Old 02-21-2006, 10:36 PM

well its winter time here as well... i think ill wait till around 12:00 or later.. by then its warmer around 65 to 75... then well go ride..
i guess being in south florida does have a good side.

Quick Reply: First start after winter