General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fi light coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default Fi light coming on.

I posted in the zx6 section but figured this might have been a better place to put this.

I'll to make this as short as possible. So I put on the new cam chain tensironer on yesterday. Pulled the bike apart put it on then put everything back on. I took the bike out and rode about 20 miles then got on the gas and the FI light came on. So i pulled over in a parking lot turned the bike off looked everything over then turned the bike back on. No FI light. So i went back to my friends house to I can pull some stuff off the bike and see whats up. The light didnt' come back on untill I got on the gas again near my friends house. So I pull off the seat to see so i can remove the tank and I noticed two of the 3 lines into the tank are switched. There is one like with a blue marker and one with a red marker. The two of them were switched. So I put them back the way they should be and everything else seems fine. I take the bike out and the same thing happens the FI light comes on. I've got it pin pointed to what makes it come on. If I rev the bike past 8k rpm and let off the gas and let the engine break slow the bike as soon as it hits 8k as its deceling the FI comes on. Now if I do the same thing and rev it past 8k and pull the clutch in then slow down with break and let the clutch out when its under 8k rpm no FI light. So its only when I engine break and the rpms hit 8k. Its only at that exact point under those condetions. Any one got any sugestions? My friend said the line has somthing do with vapor and things it will stop after a little while and the fuel that got in there is gone. Any help would be great.

edit
When the FI light is on the bike still feels the same. There is not hestitaion or lack of power at all.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fi light coming on.

Any one know how to pull the code off the ecu on a 04 636?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah the two lines are a vacum and the other line is soley for cali models (l) it goes to a charcoal canister, the hoses should be labeled switch them and see it that helps, And as far as pulling the Fi code pull the seat off, locate the dead connector with a yellow wire hanging off it, and use a jumper lead or pull the water proof connector back and tap it on the frame, that is dealer mode one, to enter dealer mode two tap the wire five times in under 2 seconds on the frame and hold it, this will show past and itremiddate codes, to erase the codes, enter dealer mode two and then pull in the cluch for 5 five seconds let the clutch out first and then the wire, let me know what code flashes, it will be flashes from the FI light, if it blinks 3 times, a pause then 4 times thats code 34, you might have to do it a few times to get it, let me know what the code is, and ill tell you what it is, and how to correct it,

Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Should I tap the wire while the bike is running or just with the ing on the ON position? I switched the lines back to where they should be. The problem is still there. I will pull the code when I get home from work.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

sir im soo sorry key in on, not running , sorry

Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on mmi86[sm=smiley20.gif]. how do know that trick are you a factroy mechanic or sumpthin?? did it work asz??
ORIGINAL: mmi86

sir im soo sorry key in on, not running , sorry

Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Sorry I sent mmi86 a pm thanking him and tell him what happened.
Ok so I got home from work pulled the seat off and found the wire. I wasn't able to get it into dealer mode. I ended up undoing the 2 vac lines. I saw one of them had fuel in it so I let the fuel that was in it leak out then cyphend out the rest of the fuel (gas is some of the nastyest tasting stuff) then put the vac line back on did the same with the other. Took off the + battery cable for about 30 sec and put it back on. put everything back on and started the bike took it out for a spin and no more FI light .

Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

glad to hear it asz

Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Most deff Asz im glad you got it all worked out, haha well if you ever have a fi code come on you know now how to access it

Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

mmi86, I suppose that good info is prolly not listed in the service manual by chance? You have any tricks up your sleeve for the 10r's also? lol Diagnostic codesfor the 10r are done using the dash I realize which the service manual explains. I just did not know concerning the 6's

Quick Reply: Fi light coming on.