General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Desperate for an answer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Default Desperate for an answer...

Hi guys-
I have an '05 Ninja 250 that's having some issues.

Here's what happened:
About two weeks after I bought it, I was riding it and the bike started chugging like it was running out of gas (it wasn't...), the RPM's slowly went down, even though I was pulling back on the throttle. As soon as I slowed down into 1st, it completely died. Everything shut off. I tried starting it again and it turned over a few times and eventually the battery died as I was trying to start it. So we got it home, threw the batt on a charger and charged it up. It seemed to be running fine after that, so I took it on another ride. Same thing. I got about a mile down the road and the bike died despite me giving it throttle. I took it to the dealer, they said it needs a carb clean. So, we took the carb apart. Totally squeaky clean, every inch of it.

Does anyone know what could possibly be going on? I had someone else look at it somewhat and they didn't see any immediate problems.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 AM
Default RE: Desperate for an answer...

Check to see if ign. is firing.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 AM

bummer hit the wrong button. If ign is sparking. Make sure you have fuel, check tank vent could be cloged. Check alt. output (V)

Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely check alt. voltage. This may also be a problem in the fuel tank petcock valve. It could be stopping the supply of gas to the carburettors.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the input...

When we turned the petcock no fuel came out of the hose, so it's probably causing the problem.

You so smaht.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 AM

Took the petcock out...

Nothing seems to be wrong with it. We syphoned (sp?) out the gas and when we tipped the gas tank up some fuel leaked out of the petcock hose. So now I'm a little confused.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 AM

its got a vacume shut off bilt in to it thats the smaller line going to it from the carbs

Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Member

1+ sorry.

Guess I should have mentioned that.[>:] If no vacuum is present in the smaller vacuum line leading up to the petcock valve, then the petcock is supposed to shut off fuel supply to the engine. (vacuum is only created when the engine is running, btw) What I would be checking is whether or not you have a vacuum leak due to a bad line, or a tear in the petcock valve vacuum diaphragm. You need a vacuum tester to do this.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

deffinately check the alternators voltage output.. could be an alternator/regulator problem.. could be a fuel problem..

you can probably try a temporary bypass of the petcock with a manual shutoff.. if that stops it from cuttign out then its probably a petcock or vacuum issue.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i hate petcocks[>:]

Quick Reply: Desperate for an answer...