General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

debaffle yoshi can and backfire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation debaffle yoshi can and backfire?

i got a zx6 2010 just ordered a yoshi slip on // im wondering if i debaffle the yoshi can and rev the bike will it shoot flames/backfire? or what will happen with whatever i do?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you heard anything about what is going on in California relating to motorcycle exhaust noise? If not, look it up. It'd be a shame to waste a bunch of money on a trick exhaust, "debaffle" it (apparently you know more than Yoshimura), then after annoying enough people along with all the other straight pipe geeks, have to take it off or get arrested after a similar law passes in your state.

And yes, you're darn right, I'm taking a healthy shot at you. There's nothing wrong with a bit of good exhaust tone, but too loud is just too loud and will cost us all.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
have you heard anything about what is going on in california relating to motorcycle exhaust noise? If not, look it up. It'd be a shame to waste a bunch of money on a trick exhaust, "debaffle" it (apparently you know more than yoshimura), then after annoying enough people along with all the other straight pipe geeks, have to take it off or get arrested after a similar law passes in your state.

And yes, you're darn right, i'm taking a healthy shot at you. There's nothing wrong with a bit of good exhaust tone, but too loud is just too loud and will cost us all.
yeah dude i don't even live in the states

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Good, go ahead and run a straight pipe then. It won't affect me and my sensible use of aftermarket exhaust systems with reasonable sound levels.

But don't be too surprised when your home country eventually makes your set up illegal. Seems some countries in the world already have that in place. As does California now that all the straight pipe geeks screwed everyone over to the point where non-motorcyclists got their way.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

dude u still havent answered my question .....

Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by i3zooby
i got a zx6 2010 just ordered a yoshi slip on // im wondering if i debaffle the yoshi can and rev the bike will it shoot flames/backfire? or what will happen with whatever i do?
How long do you plan on keeping the new bike? It will have deceleration lean spots as you mention. You will lose power and will shorten the life of the engine without proper tuning. Is Popping smoke with no power cool in your country?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

all haters or goodie two shoes in here
**** this

Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I'm confused, why do you WANT to de-baffle the can? Yeah; it will make a (different strokes) nice shriek in the higher revs (I admit; I LIKE the sound of a wailing engine in high revs; I'm not a "hater," OK?) But I like that sound on full nuts race bikes and F-1 cars; NOT street bikes or cars! On street bikes, it's annoying as hell! Secondly, it WILL affect your tuning, as Drag correctly states. I would suggest against making some vehicle of scorn to everyone but you, and taking the necessary time to properly tune said vehicle so it also won't ruin your engine, if left un-tuned. It's obviously your decision. I would only suggest you consider the outcome and "opportunity cost" involved. It will only make your bike "run better" if you take the time to properly tune it. That's a lot of dough to spend, (including the increased "damage" you're doing to your engine) if you DON'T tune it. Just understand, 98% of the people you encounter will be very annoyed. We're not a bunch of conservative jerks on this site; we're just trying to help you understand the bigger picture, OK?