General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clueless!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: RE:still clueless!!!!

start here bro!

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%20Model/ZXR400%20H%20Chapter%2015.pdf

this is your harness pinout
theseare your test values..
http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/H%...apter%2015.pdf
the "primary" is theinput side of ANY transformer.. in this case, its the supply to the sparkplug coil. it IS a transformer. its whats called a step-up transformer, being that its taking a low voltage, and creating a high voltage.
the "secondary" is the output side of any transformer.
in this case, it'll be the high power that comes out to provide your sparkyness.
oh, and that output from your staor will be AC, not DC....
charging...
page 14 and 15 is going to represent what wires (and colors) go where...

well, you know this is already fried, but heres the resistance test chart anyway. i don't really trust these tho, personally..

diodes are basically electrical checkvalves. the will permit electron flow in only one direction. just like if you ever hooked up an LED to a battery.. it'll only work with the "anode" hooked up to the positive side of the battery. the "cathode" is the common, or negative side.
electrical current can only flow from the cathode to the anode. notice how the the diagram of a diode has a little arrow? thats the flow of power thru the diode, actually. its pointing in the direction of how the voltage is going to flow..
if you had power on the back side of the arrow, but no power on the pointer side (anode/output) then its one of two things: 1. the diode is backwards, 2. the diode is blown.
if its a factory part with diodes in it, they are probably in the right place. on the case of any diode, there will be a little band offset to one side. the electrical lead with the band closest to it will be the anode.
diodes are used fo "rectifying" AC to DC. the diode will block the negative "sine half" of a.c. power, letting only the positive thru. and if theres an array of diodes in the opposite direction on the other power wire, it will allow only the negative thru, and blocking the positive...
that sine wave is the sideways "s" that represents the generation of alternating current. if you took half that "s" and flipped it 180 degrees... you havecomplete circle-that will represent 360 degrees of generator rotation. AHA!!

anyways.. i think its page 15, with the charging stuff, the diode looking things inside the regulator are transistors. thats actually the wrong symbol for them, but oh well. they're actually what are called SCRs, or silicone-controlled Rectifiers. they are the voltage regulators. they will rely on a steady, factory set input voltage to a dedicated input to control their output. kinda like a stereo ****.. you crank up the voltage to the "gate" (i think) or input to the scr or transistor, and the output will increase linearly (and typically).

but anyways... just break down your electrical system to what pertains to your parts. see if the wires match whats on the prints.. make sure all the stator and charging stuff goes to the right place, as well as the other stuff..

process of elimination will keep ya from frying minty fresh parts.

but ya..if anythings hazy, you i got ya bro, as does everyone else on here!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 PM

OK i tested the reg w/the help of WH thanx man, well according to the testing procedure it tests bad, i went from yellow1 w/+ lead to W w/-lead and it showed half scale, same with Y-2,Y-3, in fact every test it shows half scale.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:00 AM

good newsi live 7 miles from mexico i have got the cdi in mex getting rebuilt hopefully they do it right! but still need the reg.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

thats awesome!.. you may be able to cross that reg with something else...