General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

carbs and valve job on a 99 zx7

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Great information and I will give it a shot....how do I Check float heights also will I need to have the carbs synced or can I do that?

Thanks alot

Bryan

Old 07-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I am not sure what the float height on the 7 is. We have quite a few zx7 owners tho who can get you that spec. If you have the chance pick yourself up a manual for that thing. They make haynes, chilton manuals for bikes as well. The best manual to get is the kawi factory repair manual. Ebay would prob be the cheapest place for that. In the mean time, you can go to www.bikebandit.com and they give decent schematics of the carb breakdown.

It would be a good idea to sync the carbs. You can buy a nice tool and do it yourself way cheaper than having it done. Ebay has some nice needle style sync gauges (4gauges) you can get for around 70 bucks. If you can't justify spending that right now, ebay has a 2 gauge sync kit for about 35 bucks. IT would work, just a little more hassle getting all 4 synced close.

Google, carb sync, and there are some sites that have some diy info on the sync with pictures. Once you see the pics and read the article, it will give you a little more understanding on the sync procedure, then we could go into a little more depth on your questions.

here's a link to an ebay carb syn kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...spagenameZWDVW

I own a kit very similar and it's a good kit. I beleive we have a manual link, maybe, for that thing around on here somewhere for free. Let me look and if I find it, I'll post it up for ya.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I went to buy that $58 kit and i saw they had a $100 kit....does it matter which one i get?

thanks again..

Old 07-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nope. they both work the same way. just the 100 dollar kit comes with a lot of extra adapters you will probably never use. and it comes with a hard case.

and, no problem at all.

try this link to a manual. I don't know if it works or not. Dragone#19 posted this up for us. Worth a try man. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=19450

Last edited by BigRig18Wheeler; 07-26-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

if I need to clean the carbs, wil I need to take them apart:ie will I need to order gaskets or other parts to put them back together?

Thanks, Beyan

Old 07-26-2008, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought I would post this guys craigelist add...
I've got a kid on the way I'm selling my '99 ZX7R to help cover some bills. Never been stunted. All the stock body work (which had some rash when i purchased it)is off the bike. It currently has a solo tail section on with an LED tail/brake light.

I have for it a spare rear shock, spare clutch cover and a never mounted set of race body work, which will be included with the bike.

upgrades include:

K&n air filter
d&d bolt on exhaust
afam front sprocket 15t (-1 from stock)
Stealth tri-metal rear sprocket 45t (+2 from stock)
did xring gold chain
+4 factory pro timing advancer
New Spark plugs
Front tire is a Michelin Pilot Power PR3 Medium Soft Race tire (about 50% left), Have a brand new never mounted Pirelli Diablo for the front, and the rear is a brand new, never ridden on (just pushed around in the garage) Pirelli Diablo 190

Coolant has been replaced with redline water wetter to run cooler and oil has been changed religiously with repsol synthetc race oil and k&n oil filter.

The bad... for some reason the bike isn't starting now. It ran like a champ then one day, just turns over, but won't start. Thought it was the CDI unit so i replaced it (not cheap) but it's still doing the same thing. Maybe the coil packs only $68 each. This will make a GREAT street/track bike for someone. I'm honestly just too tied up with a baby on the way to give the 750 the time it needs right now.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtwelvevolts
if I need to clean the carbs, wil I need to take them apart:ie will I need to order gaskets or other parts to put them back together?

Thanks, Beyan
usually, you can get buy just pulling the bowls off, pulling the jets out, and throughly cleaning the bottom half of the carbs. USUALLY, lol, the bowl gaskets can be re used. Gunk also likes to pile up around the needle and seat assembly. Just a thourough bottom half carb cleaning would probably take care of it. If that bike has the paper element fuel filter, the paper could have deterioted and caused the carbs to gum up. Could have been a bad tank of gas. etc......If you got a good deal on the bike, you probably came out okay. Just a little labor.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

i will work on it today and let you know how I come out....

I paid $1400 for the bike

Old 07-26-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I cleand the carbs this morning and it runs and sounds bad ***!!!I did notice that the bike (sometimes)pulls a little in first gear with the clutch engaged.?

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by mrtwelvevolts; 08-03-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

you're welcome....

Congrats on getting it going! After you get the plastics put back on that thing, post a new pic. Don't forget to wear your gear man, and have fun.

Quick Reply: carbs and valve job on a 99 zx7