General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Carb Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Default RE: Carb Rebuild

yea, there are two, equal length, clear....i think they are because the bike runs without them hooked up to anything...

Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 AM

TROUBLE!!! So today I decided to finish up on my carburetor and put the body and all that back together. I accidently put a hole in the fuel line going to the carb, so I replaced it, no big deal. I went to start it after that, and it wouldn't idle for anything, so I choked it a bit, and it jumped up to about 5k, then I let it off and it idled alright. I went to give it a little gas, and it would die. I decided to let it warm up a little bit before I did anything with the throttle again, and it wouldn't start again. It is giving me the feeling it wants to start, but it wont. I have the fuel switch in the right spot, so its not that, so what else could it be? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

are you still useing the stock air box?? if so your starving the motor for air. when you rejet to stage three you have to get rid of the stock airbox. till you do the pipe and air box it will never run smooth. now when you get this all done it will be more cold blooded and take longer to warm up with the choke on.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the hoses that were coming off the back of the gas tank, on my bike were all routed down to the ground for some reason. so if you got those hooked up try taking them off.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:43 AM

Alright, I think that the whole thing about the airbox makes sense because they weren't hooked up with the airbox all the way when I first got it running, but what about the choke making the rpms go to 5k? there was no in between, it was either dead or 5k. Thank you for the response, now that I think about it, that is probably it...kudos!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

another thought...... make sure your carburator boots are in good shape no cracks or splits in them. air leaking passed them will mess up the way it runs too.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

It's also a good idea to re-tighten the carb boots after warming the engine up. Make sure you have your idle **** adjusted properly, and do a carb sync.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 PM

I know the carb boots are fine, I checked those right away. I also know the idle is set right, I had it idle a little bit before it died, and it was right at 1100 rpms. I will work on getting the air filter and see what that does, it makes sense to me, the carb sync is coming soon, so I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the responses! -Matt-

Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

by chance, have you checked the float bowl levels?

Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM

I have not done that, I have an idea of how to do that, but not fully sure, also, I cannot figure out how to route my vacuum lines, I think I have them right because of how the bike started up when it did run, but now I am not sure. I have a larger hose coming from the petcock going to a 'T' at the bottom of the 4 carbs. This is the one connected to a little filter. I have another hose going from carb #1 going to the other side of the petcock. I have a vacuum line coming from carb #2 going to the back of the fuel tank towards the seat. The port from carb #3 is capped off. The last line I have is coming from carb #4 and it goes to the far side of the tank to a little plastic piece that is I think attached to the fuel gage. The last 2 lines I have are clear, 1 coming between carb 1 and 2, and another coming from between 3 and 4, from what I gather, they are vacuum lines. I had it running, but there was a leak in the large line coming from the petcock to the filter on that line, so I replaced it. After that, I attached the boots completly and tightened the hose clamps from the carb to the engine tightly. I went to start it and it wouldn't, so I choked it a little bit and it started and revved quite quickly so I let off the choke and let it idle, I blipped the throttle and it died right away and hasn't ran since that. That is all I have for ya. With knowing the float bowl level, what will that tell me? Thanks -Matt-

Quick Reply: Carb Rebuild