General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake problems on a 02 zx7r and a manual for it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake problems on a 02 zx7r and a manual for it.

So I mentioned this in my other threat but no one responded at all, and I'm thinking some people missed it.

When I let my bike idle, there is this squealing noise coming from the front tire area, so I'm going to assume it has something to do with my brake pads/rotors/caliper, something like that. There are still pads, so I know it's not the metal on metal sound when no pads are left. I know car rotors have an indicator that makes a squealing noise when your pads are low, could that be the same on my bike? And could that be why it is making noise?

Also, this might sound ignorant, because it is, but is there anywhere I can find a manual to completely take my bike apart? In essence, the same one that comes in the box when the bike gets shipped to a store and they put it together. Is there anywhere I can find one of those?

Thanks for any help guys!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i don't think bike pads have the squealing warning thing like cars do. you might have sum crud or something stuck in your brakes. as far as the manual i usally go to the dealer and buy the factory shop manual.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Can I go to any dealer and get a manual, or does it have to be the dealer I got the bike from?

Because I got the bike from someone else and he wasn't the origional owner of it, so I wouldn't know where the bike originally came from.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah any dealer can order it for you. it'll cost around 85 dollars.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

...so when the bike is idling (sitting still) the brakes are squealing? im sure they could only squeal if the bike is moving.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevhamm
...so when the bike is idling (sitting still) the brakes are squealing? im sure they could only squeal if the bike is moving.

yeah, was curious on that statement as well.

Check out the Gen motorcycle discussion. Check out the pdf manuals that may be available. Cannot remember if the 93 was listed in there. Let us know. I am pretty sure that I have a hard copy to review if you have other questions.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

you know if the brakes are squeelin while the bike's not movin, that's one fast bike. LOL.....

there are quite a few listings for the manual on ebay for way cheaper than the dealer.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The squealing could be loose bodywork on the bike. If its squealing while sitting and idling, the brakes should not be making noise.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

No no no.

I mean when I let the clutch out, and I don't give it gas, while the bike is slowly(idling) forward there is a squeal every time one of my rotors passes a certain point. I'm pretty sure it's my one of my front rotors because as i speed up the squeal gets faster and faster then at about 20 mph it stops.

Also my front and back brakes squeal from braking, and I know the rotors are a little worn out, so I need new rotors.

Can anyone explain OEM rotors compared to EBC (I think is what they are called), and where I can find EBC rotors for cheap?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, so your moving. Sorry about that, I think of idling as the engine running while I am sitting. Sounds like you might have a slightly warped rotor. Also, the squeal is probably glazed brake pads. I have used emery cloth to buff the pads in the past. I have only used OEM rotors so I can't give you a good comparison. I like Kneedraggers.com and Motosport.com for aftermarket stuff.

Quick Reply: Brake problems on a 02 zx7r and a manual for it.