General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Backfires and then runs ok

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Default Backfires and then runs ok

Hi I have (or my son does) a 1996 Kawasaki 800 Yulcan. It sets alot since my son is in the Military. When he came home for Christmas, it ran ok and then it started backfiring and oil was leaking out. We let it set and then it ran okay, but sometimes it just starts backfiring and running rough when you start it. The gas is a little old, but not that much. What could it be? Thanks for anyones help or suggestions.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I would run some Seafoam thru the system. Gas starts going bad quickly usually within 1 month. I would always run Seafoam thru the system since it also cleans the carbs. It also stabilizes the fuel. Not sure whats up with the oil leaking. Where is it leaking from?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Welcome to KF,, Zbike's post is on the right track,,, Hope you settle your problem

Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Bad gas.....mess you up!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

drain your bowls while you're at it.
you'll NEVER get the water out otherwise.. and i'm sure there is water in there.. even if it's a tiny bit.

welcome to KF and hats off to your boy for serving our country.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all of your help. How do you drain the bowls, do you just take them off? I was thinking it was the gas. My son got on me for not ridding it, so I will have to fix that. The oil was coming from the intake area, also leaking a little antifreeze. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

you'll have to take the carbs off and basicly rebuild them to drain the carbs. As for the leaks sounds like some of the seals are going. I would check the oil too to make sure there isn't any antifreeze in it too. That might mean you have a bad head on the bike. just some thing to look at while your taking her apart.
Also what branch is your son in? I'm military also, been serving this fine country for 12 years now. GO Navy

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF! My hats off to your sons service.

Most carbs have a screw on the bowl to provide draining of the bowl. I have not however seen a ride start leaking oil and antifreeze all of a sudden from sitting. Yes gaskets do go bad, but that should not happen that fast I would think. Rings however will seize in the bore over long periods of no useage. And using the starter for the first time, I have seen sticking rings get damaged and bypass oil. But generally no antifreeze during that example. So the head gasket sounds likely at this time as mentioned. check the oil and level for a troubleshoot. Let us know.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never seen rings stuck through standing unless it's been a very long time. Lack of antifreeze ca cause the coolant to freeze. AS it turns ti ice it expands. That can damager radiators and hoses and very rarely can damage a cylinder head or block. I can't cause rings to stick.

Float bowls can be removed with stripping the rest of the carb, but as Dragone says, you can usually get away with opening the drain screw. Carbs could be partially gummed up though.

I'd just give the bike decent run before getting too deep into it - 40 or 50 miles and used hard for part of it. That may be all that's needed.

Rob

Old 12-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks all, I have used Sea Foam, however now it is running rough, I am going to change the plugs, I think they got fowled. I also think after I change the plugs and oil, I will give it a good run as Willimr suggested. The antifreeze is seeping out of a hose that runs from the engine to the lower plate, only when first started, very small leak.

I appreciate your comments about my son, he is in the Air Force Academy, so he is preparing to serve. To Bluebeast, thanks very much for your service and all that have and do!!!

Quick Reply: Backfires and then runs ok