General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Any Advice? BN125 and gear ratios

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Any Advice? BN125 and gear ratios

Hi guys,

recently had my chain and f/r sprockets changed on my eliminator 125. the guys in the shop however had to change it with a different chain/sprocket as apparently kawasaki didn't have any for over a month and i needed it fairly quickly.

the bike is running great, got acceleration and power back which is a big plus but the problem is (i'm assuming due to) the gear ratios

the guys at the shop said they had to re-adjust the gear ratios due to the sprockets being bigger/different ones (?) - which i thought fair enough - but the problem is before the change i was able to reach just over 70mph on the bike before it started begging me for a 6th gear (the bikes top speed is clocked as 80) but now with the new kit the bike will only get to about 58mph before wanting a second gear and if i push it much past 60 it sounds like it's being murdered!!! and that noise is really worrying as last time i was on a bike that made that noise shortly after the engine blew up!!

just wondering if it's a necessity for them to have changed the gear ratios? is it something that has to be done? if not is there a diy way of adjusting the ratios so i can get the bike back to 70mph again, or is this something that should be done professionally?

just wondering as i have a fair bit of motorway riding every day to get to/from work and i don't want to damage the engine as the revs sound waaay too high

thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

First off, find a new shop. If for some reason Kawasaki ran out of a common part, on a popular bike, there's 3 or 4 aftermarket options (sunstar for 1). And aftermarket parts are build to the spec of the manufacturer, and listed as such.
Example:
http://street.parts-unlimited.com/

Find a smarter shop.

I realize I've put this link in many postings, but, it's a perfect example of aftermarket, built specific. Most independent shops live out of this site.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the advice - i'd already gone to another shop when my current one yet again provided no comms as to how the repairs were going, and after I contacted kawasaki direct who told me that the parts would be in stock for many years to come and emergency parts could be ordered for overnight delivery

another question - are gear ratios dependant on the sprocket used? in other words does a certain sprocket have to have a certain gear ratio? or can i take it another shop and get the ratios re-adjusted? I know on cars you can tweak the ratios dependant on your needs as opposed to on the gear you've got - just wondered if it was the same for bikes.

thanks again

Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Your service manual will tell you the stock numbers of CS and rear sizes. (Not sure if you even had the stock sprockets on the ride.) But if you were happy with that sprocket combination, get you a shop to reinstall that combination for you. It is also a good idea to write down notes in your manual on your preferred adjustments.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Your service manual will tell you the stock numbers of CS and rear sizes. (Not sure if you even had the stock sprockets on the ride.) But if you were happy with that sprocket combination, get you a shop to reinstall that combination for you. It is also a good idea to write down notes in your manual on your preferred adjustments.

The only things in my owners manual are Primary/Final Reduction Ratio, Overall Drive Ratio and the individual gear ratios - there's nothing there about the sprocket size or chain size (i'm guessing that's what you meant by CS) and i've never had them changed since now so they are whatever came on the bike

I would ask the shop to put the original combo on but the reason they didn't is because they reckon Kawasaki wouldn't have to parts in for over a month

+ I'm not really mechanically minded so 1) i wouldn't know what adjustments to note down, 2) I wouldn't know how to change these things myself (except for changing chain/sprocket) and 3) I wouldn't know what's changed mechanically between now and then, except what the bike now feels like to ride - which tbh feels crap!

but again, thanks for the advice - and there's no way i'd take it back to that shop anyway - i can't afford to pay them another £150 so they can fix what they ****ed

Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yes, CS=Counter sprocket

You can replace the CS, chain and rear sprocket yourself. Pretty much a no brainer especially if you have the chain and sprocket info in your manual along with proper tq numbers and chain tension.

Rocketrotary has a BN as well. But your manual should have everything listed. If not do a search for chain and sprocket sets. Some aftermarket kits will say stock for this yr and model of bike.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ok - so if i got myself a complete set to DIY (i wanted to do it that way first but valued the warranty more as it's only just over a year old) would i be able to adjust the gear ratios myself as well or would that have to go back to a shop to do? If it has to go to a shop is there any reason that I couldn't put the old size sprocket on and run on the new ratios?

in other words if i change the sprockets over would i have to have the gears re-adjusted before i could ride?

If the gears is something I could do myself then - how do i do it?

as always thanks for the info
this forum is a life saver - and money saver!!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Get the concept of "gear ratios" out of your mind right now. The trans gears were never altered, ie 1-6th. The CS and rear sprocket were changed which altered your rpm to speed concern. Just concentrate on your CS, chain and rear sprocket. ok?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ok no probs - the only reason i keep mentioning it is because that's what the shop said they did

i'll look into getting a new CS/rear sprocket kit and i'll be going to another shop to get some break fluid at some point this week so i'll see if they have some advice too

thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

no need on another new kit if that shop has already installed a new setup. Know what CS and Rear Sprocket combination that you preferred. A new chain is included when you buy a kit. That should be brand new. Just know your sprockets and only get what ya have to.

Quick Reply: Any Advice? BN125 and gear ratios