General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

about changing those sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default about changing those sprockets

changed the chain and sprockets yesterday. For some reason, it feels like the right side of the chain is just barely catching a piece of the chain. It's not horrible and for all I know, it could be normal but I don't want the new set to get warn down faster because of some mistake I've made. I should also note that on the chain, it didn't seem like I could get the master link all the way together. I put it on as far as it would seem to go and tryed to put the springclip on after with a pair of plyers, but the spring clip is still somewhat open on the open end. I don't think I'm explaining this very well but this is about as good as I can do. Thanks for reading guys. Any help will be fully appreciated.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: about changing those sprockets

I should also note that when I put on the back sprocket, I made sure it was VERY tight to the pice it was suppose to be mounted to but that piece that goes into the wheel I can move with my hand meaning the sprocket is just a little bit lose. Not much but enough that if I pull back and fourth, It will move with me a tiny bit.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Dallin, your sprocket should not be able to move once attached to your wheel. What kind of bike do you have and what kind of sprockets and chain.

You need to find out why you can not tighten the sprocket full on the rear wheel first.

The make sure the rear wheel is adjusted straight on the bike and that the chain is adjusted to the recommended slack, usually ¾’’.

Pics always help people give quality answers.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

sounds like your having a issue with the cush drive on the rear wheel. will your chain and sprockets allign ?if so, does the entire tire look like its twisted ?

Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Tsubaki chain and PBI sprockets. I thought about taking a picture but it's a mm off so I think it would be near impossible to see. I think you're right evil. I tightened up the axle as tight as I could and it still didn't seem to clench it quite enough. The sprocket is well mounted to the cush drive (I'm glad you guys know the termanology cause I sure as hell don't) but the two as a whole will budge slightly. Like I said, I tightened it about as tight as I coud get it so it really barely moves now. Something else I've noticed; there is a bit of a scraping sounts that I think is from the rotor and the break disc. The wheel looks like it's on straight but it wouldn't surprise me to be way off.

My bike is currently in pieces right now. I took off all the fairings and gas tank so I could sand them down and paint them and figured I could get some of the mechanical stuff taken care of in the mean time. Everything that I'm attempting has some sort of problem (I broke the speedometer gearbox housing out of shear stupidity as well as am obviously doing something wrong with doing a simple task like putting on the chain and sprockets). I think that god is letting me know that I am not destined to be a mechanic.

One more thing, I put on the new chain and the side plate (without the posts, don't know the name) I can't get well on enough to slide the spring clip in the grooves. I tried using my hands, I tried plyers.. I got nothing. This is why I need a friend who works on bikes. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Did you place the cush pieces back in the wheel correctly, take the pics you would be surprised what someone will see in your picture that may help.

On my bikes my rear wheel is snug when put back on and while adjusting the chain tension and the wheel alignment it is very stable. After I torque the rear nut it is solid.

Did you forget any washers that should be there? What bike, make, model and year so we can check to see what parts are or should be on the rear wheel and axel.

Alignment is important here as well, if the rear is turned a small amount it will cause the problem of the chain to seem to be barely catching the sprocket. The lose feeling is different. Refer back to did you put the cush pieces back in correctly.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a 1993 zx6-e ninja. The cushion is in the wheel fits perfectly, that part was pretty easy and the rear sprocket is on the side that is closer to the wheel so if anything, I would imagine it would have to be in too far. I believe the wheel alignment is fine because I matched up the links on the swing arms perfectly. What is making me wonder about that is the scraping between the rotor and break plates. I'll go home and take some pictures, maybe you guys will see something i can't see. I made sure to put all the pieces back together and I'm pretty sure they're on right cause otherwise they would not fit. But I should get those pictures and post them before I really talk about all the things I did right cause obviously I didn't do everything right.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I agree, when putting it back together it only goes one way, Look at the picture and make sure you have all these parts.
Also make sure the brake caliper was reinstalled correctly, was the scraping there before you replaced the sprocket?
Name:  rear_wheel_chain.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  168.4 KB

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah, that's exactly the way it's now. I don't believe the scraping was happened before hand.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Take the pics, pay close attention to both sides of the swing arm and the rear caliper. More angels the better. take one directly from the rear of the bike sighting down the chain. Hopefully you have better than a camera phone to.