General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93' ex 500-Oil "squirting/spraying" Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Default 93' ex 500-Oil "squirting/spraying" Newbie

Hey guys, matt here, new to KF. Iv been looking around the forums for a bit and haven't really found any answers. Actually i really don't exactly know where the problem is, but here's the situation. My buddy's uncle has an old ex 500, 13k miles, nothing really wrong with it, EXCEPT that i guess it's squirting oil. not leaking, squirting. I made a little deal with him that if i managed to fix it, with the help of you guys and my one friends who's a car mechanic, he said he'd let us use it as a starter bike, then we'd just give it back to him fixed (hopefully not dumped >.<) Now i have yet to ride a street bike yet on my own. I'm 20 years old, i plan on taking a bike course this summer at my school, 2 months and i get my license i guess. I'm not sure but i think they might provide a bike, but i'd like something for my own practice time in the parking lot or graveyard or someplace big and open and most importantly free of traffic lol. I took a hand full of pictures but from my virgin-bike eyes i didnt c any hole or cracks or anything. it actually looked in good shape. I guess ill find out another day but just wanted some advice on maybe some specific forum page i could look at? I owner said he had it looked it by a friend, who said it might need new piston rings? or new head gaskits im not sure. Im gonna post some pictures. One of them including 2 silver fist sized cylinders which i think are the head gaskets. He say the oil was spraying from there, im not positive tho. Im gonna update this post probably everyday

Guy said oil was squirting from these, follow red arrows. (not the oil at the bottom on 2nd picture)

Attached Thumbnails 93' ex 500-Oil &quot;squirting/spraying&quot; Newbie-above-shot.jpg   93' ex 500-Oil &quot;squirting/spraying&quot; Newbie-head-gaskets-front-view.jpg   93' ex 500-Oil &quot;squirting/spraying&quot; Newbie-inside.jpg   93' ex 500-Oil &quot;squirting/spraying&quot; Newbie-head-gaskets-2nd.jpg  

Last edited by iammatt0389; 05-17-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. What does the oil sight glass tell ya????? Then if over full, what does the seats in the carbs tell ya????

Old 05-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

oh, I am available for bike donations if you do not want that ride. lol

Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 AM

understand that i know absolutely nothing absolutely nothing about bikes except how to clutch lol. and no i plan on fixing this bike and using it

Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Um, Iam, welcome to the forums, firstly.
I'm not seeing any oil in these pics to help me understand where it's coming from; the bike looks fairly clean for its age. Is the oil coming from underneath the carburetors, or "squirting" out the actual intakes (the openings of the silver things in the pictures.)? Does the bike run (maybe poorly, but..) while it's squirting oil? Does it make a horrible racket when it's running, like something is obviously broken inside? Give us more details and we'll try to walk you through a repair. Does the exhaust smoke smell or have a LOT of smoke? 13K miles is not enough to cause rings to be shot, UNLESS the bike has sat outside and not run for several years, or the owner abused it otherwise. If it has not run for a LONG time, make sure you pull the spark plugs and spray a bit of lube in the plug holes before you hit that starter!!!
Are you fairly handy (and own) a decent sent of tools?
This is not a bad bike from which to learn some basic moto repair skills. Give us as many details as you can. Pics always help; thanks for posting them.
Welcome, again, to the forums.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 AM

thank you jeff. i actually have no started it. just found out about the whole situation today actually. but i will take your advice and attempt to start it, with lube handy. ill repost on this thread. should be a day or two. thanks again ^_^

Old 05-17-2009, 05:50 AM

and yes, the guy said the oil was squirting out of the opening of the silver things. and yes it only squirts while its running. again i will take ur advice and see what the thing actually does and post updates

Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, sorry I couldn't help yesterday, when I talked to you I think I was in between golfing and heading into the movie. Looking forward to the pics, I'm sure we can get this thing figured out.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Matt, make sure you drain the carburetor bowls first. There's a screw toward the bottom of the "silver thingy" (carburetor) right next to a small drain nipple. May have a black plastic drain tube coming from them (but not in your picture.) Loosen this screw just a tick until the old fuel comes out. Use a piece of tubing to direct the old gas to a used jug and away from dribbling all over your motor. Re-tighten (snug; not too tight.) Put fresh gas in your tank. (If you try to start the motor with the old gas, you're wasting your time and your starter.) A shot of light lube in the plug holes. Re-install plugs. Turn on petcock, let sit about 1-2 min for fuel to get into carbs (petcock on PRI; if you have it). Turn petcock to "ON." Turn key; hit starter. Pay attention and take good notes on what EXACTLY happens next. Let us know.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:39 PM

on problem. the guy took the gas tank off. how do i get it back on?

Quick Reply: 93' ex 500-Oil "squirting/spraying" Newbie