General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 ZX6r problems running when warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Default 2005 ZX6r problems running when warm

I have a 05 ZX6r and am having problems with it once it gets warm. After about 30 minutes of riding 1 or 2 cylinders start to cut out and it skips and puts real bad. I took it to a dealer to have it diagnosed and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have also talked to other people and they don't have ideas. I've ran about 3 tanks of gas through it this was and changed the plugs and air filter twice. Anyone have any ideas??? I need to get it fixed before the riding season kicks in fully. Thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

What did the plugs look like that you took out. Were they real sooty looking or sort of white? Or damp. I'm thinking it's getting intermintent fire. Coils going bad?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM

The plugs didn't look bad. They weren't all carboned up or anything. I heard from some people that it may be a coil or 2 going bad or breaking down but i do not know how to figure out which one it is. I had them tested and the dealer said they were all ok. ( i dont have much faith in the dealer from previous experiences) And the problem happens whens it warm not right off and they were tested cold. I looked up prices and i can't afford to replace all 4 at 110 a piece. And i also found out that there are 4 coils and 1 pulseator coil. I am royally confused with this problem.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. It sucks not trusting your local or even internet help. so what does your expertise and manual tell ya on this issue?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

that sucks but it sounds like the coils are going bad on you if there cutting out while there warm. you could also have dirty injectors too depending on where you get your gas from.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Mmy expertise don't tell me much. I am not the mechanically inclined type persay. I mean I know a little bit but not to much. I have heard a lot of people say it is probably a coil breaking down. That is also what i am receiving with the help of this forum. I just do not know how i can figure out which one or more it is since it only does it when its warm. They were tested cold and it said they were fine. At least thats what the dealer said. I have also ran injector cleaner through the bike twice and i get my gas from Hess.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If you think that one or more of the coils are failing at warm temps you could run the bike until you start to have problems and then very carefully (carefully meaning without burning yourself on the hot engine) pull the plugs one at a time and see if they are all firing...

Old 04-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Even the manual says to test when cold with a certain resistance. What resistance did your other cold tests give you?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the help fellow riders. I changed my coils on Friday and took it for a ride and that seemed to cure my problem. Between friday and saturday i put about 600 miles on. Glad to have it back. Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to see you are back on the road!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 ZX6r problems running when warm