General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 zx636 idle/shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 04 zx636 idle/shift issues

I am completely new to the bike world but I have been on camaro forums for help in the past with my car. I thought I would try and find a good bike forum and this forum is great! I've been reading posts for hours andI feel like I havelearned so much already, Glad to see a good bike forum.For all of us newbies it is very informitive, thank you. Now on to the issues...
I recently bought a 2004 zx636 that has been running fine for almost a month now until about 2 weeks ago. I fire up the bike and she is idling great in the garage, no issues at all, but as soon as I leave and make a stop at a stop sign or traffic light the bike will not hold its idle(about 1200 rpms). It drops down toabout 500 rpms,idles like a beast, and regardless ofgiving a it little rev to hopefully bring the idle back up it dies out. It does this pretty much constantly regardless of being warmed up or not.I'm definitely baffled by thisbut I think it could be related to the below issue.
I've noticed that when I have the bike fired up and idling in neutral, I can rev the throttle and feel the bike creep forward under its own power(not my feet on the ground accidentally rolling it). Similarly, I will shift into first and rev a little bit and can feel the bike pull itself backwards (once again not my feet on the ground doing making it roll). This problem does not seem to be a constant, and changes, but never for the better, when I make adjustments at the clutch lever. Leaving from work tonight the bike didn't start up immediately either, which was a first, and I thought that was a bit strange as well...
Any tips or suggestions on where to start looking? Sorry for the mouthfull, but hopefully it made a little sense to someone. Once again you all are great, can't wait to delve deeper in this forum!!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 04 zx636 idle/shift issues

So this is an ex race bike apparently? I just noted the sig notes.

What oil and how old is the oil? Stock clutch or modified? Or with aftermarket?

You may be onto something on the "roll" issue.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea its definitely an ex race bike, the owner bought it brand new and immediately stripped it down and rebuilt it for the track, and as far as I know, the clutch wasn't modified at all. I suppose I should find that out...would astock clutch be able to take the wear and tear of track racing? It has a little over 4k on the speedo and most of them are track miles. I asked the guy I bought it from just the other day when all the fluids were last changed and he told me it had all been done fairly recently. Do you have a reccommendation for a type of oil? I was going to flush all the fluids anyways just for fun as an afternoon project, I just need to make some time. I'm almost afraid to ride the bike though just becauseI can't have it dying on me constantly. I'd hate to take the bike to a mechanic, but I am at the point where I just want to ride! My car gets 11 mpg and gas is killin me...

Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, so give me the ride. I can nurture it back. hahaha
better go back to basics from the sounds of it. Make your own history records on this ride.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

could be coil packs.. try to pull up a code from the ECU and see what it says.. i can't tell ya how to do that, cuz i've never done it before on the kawis, but i know you can do it.. it might have logged an injector or coil error..

this one dud i know stunts a 636, and this sounds similar to what happened to him one day.. i'll see if i can't find out what it was exactly..

i am kinda thinkin coils right off the bat tho.. tha or have you ridden in the rain recently? might have a bit of water in the sparkplug tubes.. happened to me.. baffled me for aminute til i recognized the symptoms of a bad plug/ missing ignition.. went to take out the plugs.. #2 was almost full of rainwater from aleaking ram-air tube on the clutch side! easy fix. blew it out with compressed air, then just went ahead and put new sparkies in it anyway.

good luck and keep us posted!

welcome to KF!!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot! I will be checking into all of that a.s.a.p. If nothing else it wouldn't hurt to have some new plugs in her anyways. Would the manual talk about this ECU code you speak of? Thats definitely new to me but I will do some pokin around on the internet before my manual gets here. Ordered it yesterday....I rode in a light rain once so farbut it was definitely not a downpour or anything

Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I called the previous owner and he said the plugs were just replaced, and I spent a while at Woods fun center at the service counterhere in Austin talkin with a guy. He suggested possibly checking the fuel pressure regulator, but it seems to me that if it were a fuel pressure issue it would be at a constant. I am able cruise at speed with no problems at all, and I can accelerate with full power. Is there an idle control speed unit that could be making it die out at idle only? Had a cycle riding course instructor come by and ride the bike to see what he thought the problem was andthe bikestarted up fine for him and ran without issue. Definitely strange

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
1st Gear Member

hmm.. might be a funky TPS signal, anything, really.. the manual should definitely say something about the codes, and how to pull them up, as well as what the numbers mean.

i'm just going on what i used to service a similar problem on an '03 R6.. got into the OBD and ran thru the gauntlet of tests, codes, parameters, reset the ECU of the tip-over code it had, and in addition to this, replaced the coil packs.. runs like a raped ape.

the FPR, if faulty, could be showing signs of a vacuum leak.. basically just have to hook up a pressure gauge to the rail and monitor fuel pressure to make sure it's doin its thing.

i think the choke on that bike is electronically controlled like the gixxers and busa and i think the newer literbikes and some other 600's?

the choke on that R6 was actually hydraulic, believe it or not.. there was a coolant line that ran to a tiny piston.. the expansion and thermal change made the piston extend when cold and retract when warmed up, thus moving the choke needles.

Hmm.. it IS definitely weird, bro.. theres no question on that. i hate intermittent problems..lol

well, pull your codes and all, and hit me back.. let's get this fixed.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea it's definitely an electric controlled choke...my manual that I ordered should be here in the next couple days so hopefully I will be able to get deep into it. Kinda hard going in completely blind. I appreciate the tips and hopefully something will make a difference soon. If nothing else, yalls advice taught me something so atleast I can take that with me

Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member

A pic of the beast

Quick Reply: 04 zx636 idle/shift issues