General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

yesterday sucked.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Default yesterday sucked.

Ok...first thing in the morning, I go to the DMV and put the bike on the road. First thing...when the hell did they start charging FIFTY F'N DOLLARS for a goddam title? 121 bucks to put it on the road. Whatever. I put it on, and picked it up from my mom's garage where it was stored. Drove it home, was happy. So, since the horns didn't work, spent an hour stripping the fairings to GET to the horns...found why it didn't work, fixed the one (the other was bad), put it together, and went for a ride. Made it to town, stopped and chatted with my step-brother in NAPA, and then left for Sidney (3 miles up the road), via the highway... 2/3 of the way there, it just...DIED. so, I pull off the road, pop the seat, and the battery cable is loose on the + side...I have no tools, but I figure that's the big prob. SO, I start pushing...got it to the Sidney ramp, and halfway up, when I said F this. Parked it, started hiking to town. State Police Investigator pulls up, and gives me a ride to K-Mart (Thanks again, sir! ). I call Dan (step-bro) and he leaves work with a screwdriver and new bolts for the battery, just in case. We park at the top of the ramp, walk down to it. Tighten battery and...nadda. So, check the fuse. it's blown. Spare is too. Go figure. Ok, so...try to jumper the ends together to get power...wires instantly get hot, and something smokes upfront. So there goes hope for an easy fix. And, more pushing. had to push it to town, and to my mom's AGAIN. Where it is now parked. And will have to wait until I can get enough time to strip it down, AGAIN. And see if by chance, I can find the wire, and WHY it fried. Otherwise, it's a new master harness. Which I'm sure isn't cheap. Go figure. 350 bucks spent on insurance and registration, and I made it a whopping 17 miles. I rode it all over the lawn and up and down my road last year. I put it on the road LEGALLY, and breaks. WTF. *sigh* long *** day. Miserable. Dammit.

Anyway...that was yesterday...tonite I'm going to stop by my mom's on the way home, and spend an hour stripping it down again. I'm thinking I MUST'VE done something messing with the horn (I don't know HOW), since it ran fine for my step-brother when he had it two years ago, and I rode it all last summer, around the house and up and down my road. Yet, I bring it home, fix the horn, and POOF! I hope it's an easy fix...

Old 04-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: yesterday sucked.

well i would say that pretty much sucked..... keep us informed on what happens....

Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM

Definately. Here I was, thought I was in for a rough day when I slid it sideways turning onto the main road, thanks to the cold tires lol. Thought I was gonna drop it 100 feet from the house lol.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

lol you must of been going pretty fast......

Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

lol!! ya when it rains it pours....

Try disconnecting the horns or wires that you did, and see if that fixes the short??? Maybe one of the horns has a short inside of it, and it finally ground itself out? GL!!

Old 04-20-2006, 03:59 AM

Well, went after work, and tore it down. Found the problem, and it was my fault. Somehow, the horn wiring managed to shake loose, and melt itself on the header, which, obviously, shorted it out. Melted that + wire all the way through the harness. Anyway, long story short, cut that wire, terminated it, and all works fine, minus the horns. I found a good spot to mount some so I'm going to just put a new switch in (or find the existing wiring to replace it) for a new horn, with all new wiring. BUT, it runs again! woohoo! Gonna take it to work tomorrow, and see if I can't break down again.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Awesome dude!!! Easy enough fix......

Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

coo man... hope all works out.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

good job... just becareful of those cold tires.....

whats going on bigrig and lemac.....

Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear ya got her all fixed up!