General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

whats better v-twin or inline 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member
Default whats better v-twin or inline 4

I know a lot of people fight over this topic but I figure it still working talking about. So what does every one think? V-twin or inline four? Whats better on track and street? For argument sake lets compare the 1098 to the recent GSXR only beacause I happened to find a dyno sheet with both stock bikes on it
here is the horse power specs

Here is the torque

Now these dynos from what I know were done on bone stock bikes. So what does every one think? Personaly In a stright line I think the liter bike would be faster because it has a little more to give at the top end. On a track I think a twin might be better due to the really wide power band and smoth power delivery.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: whats better v-twin or inline 4

THUMPER!!!!! lol..... i dont know.....

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

being i just rode a V-twin weekend before last. i like inline four better. my buddies harley i was riding felt like riding an old chevy. you wanna talk about vibration [&:]that thing had me still shaking when i got off of it.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

well its a harley what do you expect. Its going ot vibrate and leak oil every place . What about a aprilia RSV, RC51 or a ducati sport bike? I've never rode a V-twin and have always wondered about them. I have friends that swear by V-twins and once they rode a sport V-twin jumped from inline to twin and never looked back.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

This may sound like a cop-out, but I think it depends on who is riding and what you're used to. At the track, if you're used to the power delivery of an in-line, the torque of a V will spit you off coming out of the corners. Likewise, if you're used to a V, the top-end of an in-line will get you into a corner faster. I have a friend who has raced both (he's a big GSXR fan, but has run a TL and some Duc's, too. (He is noslouch on a track.) He's told me it's night and day, and he cannot ride V's to save his butt.
Personally, I like the rush at the top, of an in-line. The torque of the V's is cool, but you can't "approach" the hit at the top as-needed, like you can with an in-line. There's also the geometry issue. V's always feel too skinny for me, compared to an in-line. They just feel weird.
My 2 cents.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
The Dude
1st Gear Member

Good points jeff. Rider style would play a big part in it. For my self I was always scared to run my bike to red line and felt much better running around in the middle of the power band. That kind of riding would work on a twin great. I guess a comparison of sorts would be an inline 4 being like a turbo car. Starts off slow then as the rpms pick up bost comes in and it just pulls and pullsand doesn't stop till red line. The twins are more like american V8's. its got great low down grunt and really hard pull in the mid range but falls flat on top end.
I think for street riding a twin would be good. I rarely tached my bike up on the street and spend most of the time putting around 3-8k rpm. When out in the twistys I would keep it round 7-13k

Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, it depends on what you want out of the machine. The V will putout more torque, and be better on the low end. The inline4 will have more top end, and the HP will come on at higher RPMs. I have a SV650 which is a standard andnot a sport bike, is very good at lower speeds, and from the light,I've found that it is very stable at all speeds. I've also ridden my friends Duc 996, and at speed it is like a knife, but at low speed it felt likeI hadto yank, and push to get it to pass, and turn. I ridden VFRs V4 engines(500, 750, and 800s) they are like are like a compromise.Good torque, and highRPMs near thoughtless control verygood design.Even though they are set-up, andmarked as sport-tour bikes as far as I know the only years they were brought in as"sport" bikes was 85, and 86.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

so true on the rpm's, the rider and setup! Personnally, am so used to keeping the rides at 6k -8k mid corner, that I have no answer. I would prolly be spit off faster if I tried a V until I got used to the old gal and the setup.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

dood this is a lot like the whole what is better a turboed jdm or a normally aspirated jdm(im not in to american stock power thing, althought i do appriciate a nice american car). turbos have great acceleration and top speed but little midrange power, and are generally used for draging. but to the contrary n/a is slite on the accel and top speed but work mircles in the midrange band perfect for track performance. even as that battle ends at a draw so will the other v-twin vs inline it all depends on the rider(or driver) and where this motorcycle(or car) is at track vs. street/strip.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

being i just rode a V-twin weekend before last. i like inline four better. my buddies harley i was riding felt like riding an old chevy. you wanna talk about vibration [&:]that thing had me still shaking when i got off of it.
So that's why chicks dig guys with Harleys!

Quick Reply: whats better v-twin or inline 4