General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Default What would you do different in cycle wreck?

What would you do different in cycle wreck?

My boss called to check up on me to see how I was coming along. I told him that since my lay-down 4 weeks ago, I have had plenty of time to think & watch cycle mishaps on "you tube", watch safety equipment demos and read up on latest safety gear. He asked me, "What would you have done different?" . . . and I told him.

But I am interested to know, did you learn anything from your mishap and "What would you have done different?" . . . if you have had a lay-down, motorcycle mishap, accident, wreck.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah next time hit that fuggin deer instead of laying it down. thats just me and my exspeirence. what happened to you??? oh yeah welcome to KF

Old 12-05-2008, 02:27 PM

If I would have hit the car that pulled at 90 degree in front of me it might have been worse than me sliding across the pavement.

Basically I locked up rear wheel (easy to do on cruiser type with footboards and big brake pedal!!!) and slid quite a ways on asphalt on left side. Ins co totaled bike even though it runs great and is driveable. Its a full dresser with lots of cheap ABS - but expensive - plastic.

Mistakes:

1 - trusted driver becaused he DID stop BUT then decided to pull out anyway - even though he told cop that he saw me!!!!

2 - I did not separate from the bike

3 - was wearing cheap gloves, good leather jacket but without armor - which is now totally just a leather rag, new boots but not tight enough or long enough - left one was riped off my foot, 1/2 helmet which saved my skull from major injury, long cotton pants which turned into rags & offered NO protection at all!

My legs had road rash from top to bottom, 360 around, small scratches on face, tore up my hands which are healing, broke, twisted torn up left anke/foot. both elbows extremely bruised & left got penetrated through leather into left elbow.

Sitting on my butt I have had time to order another bike - with ABS brakes!!, all new gear - leather jacket for cold & mesh for summer - kevlar mesh pants ALL with armor & KEVLAR!! and a FULL FACE helmet!! will be getting better boots when I can get it onto my foot!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Dharnie welcome to KF Man Sorry about your laydown or (get off) like some of us call it, Glad your still able to get online and join the forum...

Hoedoggy,, You wrecked while missing a deer??? Ouch

Me Umm im mostly on the trails so I have get offs all the time but I cant really say there could be anything to do differantly maybe not try and hit big rocks at a high speed lol. but thats just me.. Glad your ok

Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, reading about your experience keeps us all on our toes and we are reminded of what can happen out there. Thanks for sharing and again welcome to the site, we hope you stick around.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

First lesson is all the gear all the time. That would probably have had you back to work the next day. Textile gear with impact armour is more comfortable and offers adequate protection. Cheap leather, as you've discovered, doesn't. Yours might have been expensive in dollar terms, but either it wasn't a motorcycle jacket or you were ripped off. Neither leather nor textile should abrade enough that the skin underneath gets damaged. Gear that comes off may just as well not be there. Boots should come well up the shin for both protection and support to the ankle. You were lucky with your helmet. Without a full face one itcould be your face sliding the asphalt. The results aren't pretty. The right gloves are important and should secure at the wrist so that they stay put. Non-gauntlet types aren't secure.

Second lesson is how to brake in an emergency. Use the front brake. It does all the work. It won't lock until you're down to a slow speed, then if you have time, transfer the effort to the rear brake. ABS in conjunction with incorrect braking will simply mean that you take several hundred yards to slow down. Be aware that ABS cuts out at around 5 mph so it won't prevent a slow sped lock up.

In general it's often better to brake and hit the other vehicle while you're still under control, but if you can't slow significantly it's sometimes better to lay the bike down. If you do, get clear of it. You don't usually have time to make that sort of decision though.

Learn how to position the bike to maximise the room you have, and how to balance the safety margin with reduced speed where room is reduced. If you have the slightest doubt about another vehicle, slow down. Read Motorcycle Roadcraft.

This accident was avoidable despite the action of the other driver. No real harm done, so learning from it is the correct course of action. Enjoy your new bike.

Rob

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks WilliamR - a well thought out response. I ordered Ride Like a Pro last night.

Avoidable? Maybe - DURING the crash or lay-down I will say this from my latest experience - my thoughts were, "This looks familiar - I'm fuc***g going to have one hellava crash!" Then I saw asphalt 2" from my nose going by my face in a blur! I remember seeing my hands still with the gloves on but looked like they had tumbled in a hay field with dead grass all over them. Next thing I recall was being placed in the stretcher by the ERU team. When I read the police report putting the time together I was out cold for 30 to 40 minutes. Totally not in any position to think about tuck & rolling or bailing off the bike. I think the only way that any of us get good at anything is with practice. And I am not real enthused about practicing crashing, even though that apparently is a part of our chosen sport/hobby!

I never had a bad feeling about the person who pulled out into my path. I do not even know who it is except for the police report. I have to admit that when I am a cager, as a cyclist, I even fail to see a bike at times. So knowing that, I made a commitment to myself that if I was going to get upset at every cager who drove stupid, I would never enjoy riding. So for me to enjoy riding I know that I am the superior intelligence and the cagers are the lower species. Then I just drive that way - hey hey - most of the time. I flash my lights, hit my air horns and every once in awhile I have to give them a little piece of my mind with some "hand language". Then I calm down and consider the source!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been down twice, both of which were not my fault.

The first time I was going through some twisties about 70mph leading the pack. I leaned deep into a curve and there was a huge pile of sand. It was too late to correct and or get out of the sand. Bike come out from under me. I rode it down while holding the brakes until it was unsafe for me to be on the bike (because there was a ditch ahead) then I hopped off.

Second time I was merging onto the highway when a car decided to pull out in front of me. There was nowhere to go but either hit the car or the grassy median. I chose the grassy median.

In short, the emphasis here should be placed on always wearing proper PPE at ALL times. Quality gear worn properly will prevent unnecessary and preventable injuries. Always wear a full face mask. This last wreck, if I would not have worn a full face helmet, would have probably broken my left cheek bone because of the way I hit the curb on that median.

There is a website our there dedicated to getting the word out about proper motorcycle PPE. It is called www.rockthegear.com

Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default i would...

i flipped my dads 1982 kawisaki kz 750 end over end in the country, what i would do different? i got a concussion cause the bike hit me in the neck / spine, and i forgot everything, but something i would do differnent is not carry a car battery on the rear rack. or drive a 600 pound bike into the ditch. I'd like to blame someone else, but i was probably just checking to make sure i still had my cargo on a curve.

Last edited by ulvinator; 12-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

well first of all welcome to the site and i hope your healing up good. sounds like you have learned from your own mishap to me. All i have to say is wear that gear that it seems you have gotten already after the fact.
Maybe try in looking it to taking a advanced motorcycle course when your up tp it. I just took one today and learned a lot and noticed some bad habbits i had and need to break.

Quick Reply: What would you do different in cycle wreck?