General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Turning at speed question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Default Turning at speed question

I had the chance to hit a twisty section of road yesterday. It is about seven miles and I went back and forth a couple times.

I focused completely on my braking, seting up for the turn and the dive into it ... but when everything was set and done I see that the front tire has a 1 inch unused section on both sides while the back tire has less than a fourth of an inch.

The question is, am I doing something wrong (based on the tire wear) or is it normal that the front tire does not lean as much ...

Just wondering.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Turning at speed question

thats pretty much normal..... the onlt time your gonna wear that line out of the from tire is if your riding really, really hard..... or on the track...... and IMO if your gonna ride really hard..... it better be on the track......

Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

your tires are different widths so the back will see more contact then the front as fare as to the edges...

Old 05-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MAD KAW

thats pretty much normal..... the onlt time your gonna wear that line out of the from tire is if your riding really, really hard..... or on the track...... and IMO if your gonna ride really hard..... it better be on the track......
Well said.

[IMG]local://upfiles/346/3751F9B26459410E968756239456709A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

if your going out there trying to drag knee then also note: most guys can drag knee without the bike being at a extream lean angle. thus not useing the available tread upon the tire, but it looks cool. food for thought, go drag your knee.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 PM

if you have got that close to edge on the street you doing fine. any futher i would recommend the track to many varibles on the street

Old 05-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Thanks to all.

I got there on a twisty road with a 30mph speed limit. I don't think I would ever get lower than that on the "street".

I have my first track day on Friday and wanted to "scrape" my tires a little before I hit the track.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

you want to scrub your tires in, not scrape them.

and since it makes no sence to get that low on the street and your worried about it, just hit the edges of your tires with sand paper and get the sheen off the edges, then hit the track, heat them up and go drag a knee. have fun and be safe.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SERGE

Thanks to all.

I got there on a twisty road with a 30mph speed limit. I don't think I would ever get lower than that on the "street".

I have my first track day on Friday and wanted to "scrape" my tires a little before I hit the track.

Where are you doing your track day at?

Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: evil636

you want to scrub your tires in, not scrape them.

and since it makes no sence to get that low on the street and your worried about it, just hit the edges of your tires with sand paper and get the sheen off the edges, then hit the track, heat them up and go drag a knee. have fun and be safe.
ditto

Quick Reply: Turning at speed question