General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Thinking on first bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thinking on first bike

I went on craigslist and found some good bikes. Checking out the GSXR's 600s / 1000s. The prices are actually good. $5000+. I still haven't called to see if they still are selling it but it was posted up either yesterday or the 2nd. And I haven't talked to my mom ( since im 16 ) about money and getting a bike, she'll probably say focus on school, in which i am, but I'm asking you guys, is the price good? The bikes: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...252176944.html ; ; http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...253792717.html

Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The GSXR's are a great bike. But lets get real here. You are now 16 yrs old and this would be your first ride. It is your choice of course, and $5k for a ride must be nice to have at your age. Start out abit more gradually. $1k for a dirt bike, or a smaller street bike would be my opinion. Another few hundred in safety gear. I just witnessed a T-shirt rider crash test his bike and guardrail. Not pretty. His arm was placed in an ice bucket for the life flight. Basically, again, consider your options out there. I still remember my behaviour at 16 and fortuneatly, I can still remember and learn myself. ok, abit off topic good luck

Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Prices are right, dunno about the bikes tho. Is it a first bike for you? Remember most people will drop their first bike, I know I did. Crashed it once or twice as well. If I had a newer bike it would have been totaled. Dont forget that your gear will cost another 1k on top of the bike. Let us know how it goes, and make sure your parents are on board too.
Welcome to KF!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Excellent advice from these guys, A. If your parents aren't on board, you'll regret it. Start out with something you can master the basics on; a 250 or a 500. I'm not kidding; this is serious business. If I'd started on a Gixxer I'd be dead.
Having said that, welcome to KF. We want you around awhile, A., we've been where you are and KNOW what we're saying, OK?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

A., I've been thinking about my last post. The reason why I say that, is not because you may not have the basics down; I'll be generous and assume you may have great intuitive skills. However, starting on a Gixxer, you WILL get into situations where the bike has more technology than you have skills BECAUSE YOU'RE INEXPERIENCED. That's no insult, OK? You need a bike that has technology consistent with the butt-puckering learning curve you're going to go through. We've all done it. You gotta work up to the bike that has technology you understand; not BEGIN on a bike with technology which will kill you. We CARE! Find a good 250 or 500 you can learn the feedback from. Riding is a cumulative skill set; not automatically acquired when you sign a title.
Keep us posted, alright? We'll be here for you.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yes, keep us posted and good explaination jeff.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Alright. Thanks. I'll talk to my mom about this whole bike thing. The Gixxer isn't going to be my first bike, I'm not that crazy. I read [ forums ] and youtube'd. The bike I want for my first, is the ZX-6R or the 250. I really want to ride a bike instead of a car [ less passengers ] But that's not the reason I want one. Umm. Do you guys remember how much you paid to do the permit test? And I have to pay for MSF too right?
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and my name is Allan. Haha.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Do you guys remember how much you paid to do the permit test?
Not really, it has been a few yrs since that moment.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh. Dang, because I'm in California, Carson. I wonder if there are people in this forum that live in Carson because there aren't that many bikes out here.

Quick Reply: Thinking on first bike