General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

..is spray paint okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

if you take the plastics off so they don't get damaged you can spray it down with brake cleaner, it has a tendancy to disolve/remove/losen spray paint - then pressure wash it and reinstall plastics.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ohh, that sounds good. I'll probably do that as I prime/paint the bike. I was trying to take the stickers off of it-stock and what a previous owner had put on it...and it was such a pain. I'm really just tempted to leave them on, prime over it and just paint. I know the lines of the stickers will show but barely...

Any suggestions of how to get stickers off more easily then just trying to chip them away?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 AM

To get the stickers off just use your hair dryer and gently aim it at the stickers as the sticker heat up starting from the edge of each sticker they should peal right off. Be careful though because you don't want to damage the plastic with too much heat. Good luck on your bike!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yep; hair dryer or heat gun works every time. ^+1 Ripp.

Kristina, if you ever move into an old house with wallpaper, promise me you won't paint over it. Take the time to do it right.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Hah, promise. I don't see a point in trying to fix something if you aren't going to do it right.

I bought something today to help get the stickers off of the bike. What I'm trying to get off is the original Kawasaki stickers, and the stuff works alright but not at all like I had expected. It's making the stickers that had already been primed come off more easily but isn't doing anything to the others. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've read the directions several times and followed through with what I was supposed to...hmm, gonna have to buy a blow dryer, (yes, I'm a girl and I don't own a hair dryer.)

I'll be posting pictures of the progess I make with everything. I hope you all will accompany me on this long, tedious journey :]

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Remember not to apply to much heat and be careful with those chemicals they can damage the plastic. New plastic can be pricey. Have fun! Don't make a mess! Lol! Like thats not going to happen.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Another trick is dental floss!! Heat up the stickers and use the dental floss to "saw" the sticker off. Some "Goof Off" goes a long way too!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweeeeeeet. Yeah, I bought some stuff that you're supposed to spray around the edges, let sit for about 5 minutes, then peel, using more liquid as you peel but that doesn't really do a good job..at all. The stickers that are PRIMED come off a lot easier than the ones that haven't been primed over. I still haven't gotten a hair dryer yet, but I haven't had much time to take the stickers off. He gave me a can of primer when I bought it, and four, yes FOUR cans of the red spray paint he used to paint the engine.

The last thing I want is to look at those cans because all I can think of is the ton of work it's leaving me with to do.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I do powder coating I would be willing to give you a hand...

Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

You may live a little too far away;]

Quick Reply: ..is spray paint okay?