General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Default some questions

hi, im new to the whole biking world. my friend introduced me to his honda and i have been practicing on it a few times.... its exciting and i love it. ive been meaning to learn for a while now to save my *** in gas prices cause im kinda too damn poor to keep paying $3.08 per gallon in gas with a 13 gallon tank reaching about 24-27 miles to the gallon.... sucks ***. but before i buy a bike i was wanting to ask a few questions to people who are more qualified to answer my questions than just the few people i know.

im interested in the Ninja 500R, which ive heard was a decent starter bike.... but im wondering abot insurance....

i asked my friend wondering.... if i am paying for a used or new bike from a dealership, of course paying monthly, am i restricted to only full coverage.... or can i pay for liability while paying off my bike?

also do i have to have insurance to get the required tags i need and inspection for the bike?

my friend told me i dont have to have insurance to get tags and inspection and that i can pay for liability instead of full coverage while paying my bike off monthly. i live in the state of texas if that makes any difference.... which im sure it may.

also would anyone like to share with me some stories or information on the Ninja 500R? i would like to know more about it personally before i make any choices. does it have really good handling.. how fast it goes.. the acceleration, and so forth.

thanks for reading this and i hope to here from you guys soon.

-fourtwenty

Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: some questions

welcome to KF. in cali if you finance you must have full coverage. as far as the 500 goes it handles good. has enough accelration for a beginer.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM

cool thanks ^_^

is there anyone from texas who can also help me though? im researching the bike right now to see if this is the one i want.... so far it sounds affordable.... average used price around $2,500....

also, there is a kawasaki dealership somewhat close to me.... do the dealerships sell used bikes as well as new, or just new?

-fourtwenty

Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Best bet to find out is to call ur insurance company and ask, I know here in the state of NC I only have to have liability insurance, also if u buy the bike from the dealer you are most likely to have the inspection already done once u buy it. As for owning a Ninja 500 sounds like your starting out with a nice bike.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 AM

sweet thanks. ive read lot of reviews that all pointed to the 500R as being one of the best beginner bikes. i cant wait till i get my hands on one my cars transmition is ****ed and needs repairs.... i figured my best bet was buying a bike to have for transportation, and having my car fixed afterwards so ill have the best of both worlds untill my brother gets his licence and takes over my car lol.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 AM

ORIGINAL: fourtwenty

paying $3.08 per gallon in gas with a 13 gallon tank reaching about 24-27 miles to the gallon.... sucks ***.
I registered just to balk at this. I decree that you can't complain about milage if you're getting 25+ mpg.

I'm paying $3.20/gallon and my jeep gets ~12 mpg on a good day. With a 20 gallon tank. /sadface

Old 05-22-2007, 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BS87

paying $3.08 per gallon in gas with a 13 gallon tank reaching about 24-27 miles to the gallon.... sucks ***.
I registered just to balk at this. I decree that you can't complain about milage if you're getting 25+ mpg.

I'm paying $3.20/gallon and my jeep gets ~12 mpg on a good day. With a 20 gallon tank. /sadface
well i see you have it worse off.... but atleast your car is running and can pass inspection. i on the other hand have no transportation except what friends can offer me and my family.... if either have the time or gas to do it themselfs.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hi, im new to the whole biking world. my friend introduced me to his honda and i have been practicing on it a few times.... its exciting and i love it. ive been meaning to learn for a while now to save my *** in gas prices cause im kinda too damn poor to keep paying $3.08 per gallon in gas with a 13 gallon tank reaching about 24-27 miles to the gallon.... sucks ***. but before i buy a bike i was wanting to ask a few questions to people who are more qualified to answer my questions than just the few people i know.

im interested in the Ninja 500R, which ive heard was a decent starter bike.... but im wondering abot insurance....

i asked my friend wondering.... if i am paying for a used or new bike from a dealership, of course paying monthly, am i restricted to only full coverage.... or can i pay for liability while paying off my bike?

also do i have to have insurance to get the required tags i need and inspection for the bike?

my friend told me i dont have to have insurance to get tags and inspection and that i can pay for liability instead of full coverage while paying my bike off monthly. i live in the state of texas if that makes any difference.... which im sure it may.

also would anyone like to share with me some stories or information on the Ninja 500R? i would like to know more about it personally before i make any choices. does it have really good handling.. how fast it goes.. the acceleration, and so forth.

thanks for reading this and i hope to here from you guys soon.

-fourtwenty
hmm, a stock 500 is **** for suspension, flexes bad on exits out of turns but still is a good stock road ride. Just set up the suspension as best as you can.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

See this thread to hear my $.02 on why to avoid the Ninja 500...

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_139..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sorry i have to disagree with you srobak. learning on a non fixxed fairing bike, and then switching to a fixxed fairing bike is harder. with the GS 500 the headlight and windscreen turn with the handle bars, as with the ninja the fairing and wind screen and gauges don't move with the handle bars. when youswitch it sorta throws for a loop.

Quick Reply: some questions