General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

should motorcycles be warmed up before you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: should motorcycles be warmed up before you ride?

Actually any engine - in car, bike or otherwise - warms up faster when you set off right after you started it, because just moving the vehicle requires more energy then letting it idle; that said, it is also important not to rip it from the start, so I always try and take it easy for the first couple minutes and only then use allpower.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When the bike was new and really constricted with all the junk they put on these things, you almost can't help but let it warm up for a minute or 2, but now with the jetting and pipe, no air box lid I can hit the choke and start it right up, wait for 15 seconds and shut the choke off and its ready to go. Now that just means that the engine will idle properly, it doesn't nessasarily mean the bike is ready to be ridden. I usually start the bike, flip off the choke after 15 seconds, then as the bike is sitting there I put on the helmet, gloves, coat and goggles, and then get on and ride.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

to me i just go by when it's below 50 degrees and still take it easy for a mile or so even when it's kind of warm out.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

i wait til my temp gauge says atleast 120 before i take off.
What's this " take off? " I hear of ? Over 25mph? Hmmm, didn't think red goes that fast.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ow ow!! red is sexy and fast[8D]green is just fast.
ORIGINAL: OMalley912

ORIGINAL: hoedogg

i wait til my temp gauge says atleast 120 before i take off.
What's this " take off? " I hear of ? Over 25mph? Hmmm, didn't think red goes that fast.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: niklucas

Actually any engine - in car, bike or otherwise - warms up faster when you set off right after you started it, because just moving the vehicle requires more energy then letting it idle; that said, it is also important not to rip it from the start, so I always try and take it easy for the first couple minutes and only then use allpower.
So I shouldn't bounce my rev limiter for 30 seconds at start up?[:@]

Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM

In my opinion any vehicle should be warmed up before driving,as most wear and tear on an engine occurs on short trips or in stop and go traffic. So if your going less than say 10 or 15 miles a warm up is a good thing

Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

most cars will reach a reasonable operating temperature within the first mile of driving. however untill that time its only prudent to take it easy.

the reason stop and go is harder on an engine because it involves frequent acceleration. as apposed to low rpm cruising on the highway (atleast low rpm for car engines)

the hardest thing on an engine is the first couple cranks untill it builds oil pressure. but if you run a good full synthetic like amsoil or mobile1 or royal purple then its fine.

the reason being warm is import is what i said before. metal expands, tolerances change, pressure on the head gasket to seal it increases, and oil thins to work better. riding/driving and taking it easy is no more harmful than letting it sit and idle for 5 minutes.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I was taught to warm up the bike before you take off. I do about 5 to 10 minutes or until the bike reaches 115 to 120 degrees, which ever comes first. More times than not, the 115 to 120. I only ride when it is above 65 out. I don't like being cold.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

you need warmer gear then buechee - with the right gear (not even heated stuff) i'm warm down to about 40 - after that its gets a little chilling - but i won't ride below 33. chance of black ice and frosty slick roads is not worth it.

Quick Reply: should motorcycles be warmed up before you ride?