General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Radar Detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Radar Detector?

Yeah, I've been driving around with it in my car for a little bit... KA is definately police, likely state highway patroll, also had a _STRONG_ K in an unusual place that was a sheriff, but otherwise X and K seem to be mostly grocery stores & gas stations... At least I've got a good grocery store detector... hehaheahaha! I'll never starve or run out of gas! I do like the voice and unique beeps though, I don't have to look at anything to know band and strength... should work well on the bike.

For now I'm going to stuff it in my tank bag and get a feel for it... Having a bit of trouble w/the Autocom and the RD... They've got all these different custom $45 cables for each thing, and it seems that I may have to get one of them to make it all work right. A bit of a rip-off considering what the unit cost in the first place. We'll see what I can make of it, and how helpful they are.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Radar Detector? - RIDING REPORT

So I thought I'd give a little report... I just stuffed the RD in my tankbag and managed to find a way to hook it up to the autocom without issue... A modified phone cord straight from my battery-tender battery harness (fused) into the tank bag provides a quick-and-dirty install until my mount and eTankbag off of eBay arrives. At least while just the RD is hooked up to the bike power (everything else is battery), there's no ground loops... and all is good.

On my trip on the Cascade Loop, I had multiple sightings. It was interesting and fun finding them, and seeing what they'd do. I'm not the type that tries to rail the back roads, but I do tend to do 5-10 over, just like everyone else. [sm=grinangel.gif]

There was one in particular that was very funny... I came over a bridge to see a dark car parked on the side of the road in front of me. As I rode by I had a fishy su****ion that it was a sheriff, so I started doing exactly the speed limit, with speedo error, likely a bit below. Watching my rear view, I see him pull out behind me. RD has been totally silent up to this point. Then he catches up to me (speed limit's 60, so it took a little while from a dead stop) and my RD starts going off like crazy "BEEP BEEP BEEP K-BAND BEEP BEEP BEEP". I double-check, and I'm only doing an indicated 60/65. It's a long straightaway on a hill, so I just relax and watch the scenery.

He stops with the radar, then starts again another mile down the road... Seems pretty determined to either get me, or just wants to practice using his radar on a bike I guess. Eventually he gives up, and one of those 3-lane passing lanes come up, so he goes by. I wonder what he was thinking... Not 20 seconds later, a white honda civic comes up behind me fast, and flys past me. I'm thinking, hmm... this guy's gonna get it. He finally sees the car in front, slams on his brakes, and pulls behind the sheriff, in front of me. I just start laughing in my helmet...

A moment later, the sheriff pulls off onto the right shoulder, slows quickly, weaves back in between me and whitey, and turns on his lights... [sm=bustedsign.gif] Now... I don't usually like seeing people get pulled over, but for some reason this is the funniest thing in the world, and I can't stop laughing for the next 5 miles... [sm=laughat.gif]

The RD didn't save me from a potential ticket in this case... It's the fact that I was paying attention. But it did give me more information, confirmed my su****ions, gave me a little insight into what that freaky black car behind me was doing, and also gave me a good laugh for 5 miles. To top it off I also have a story to share with you all. I'd say it's paid for itself right there...

Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radar Detector? - RIDING REPORT

The laugh alone was worth it!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, you find that while riding with the rd you will become more aware of your speed. It just helped you and you did not even realize it. That's the beauty of them.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

im sold. ill start my search tonight.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: evil636

im sold. ill start my search tonight.
it's already been done. http://www.radarbusters.com/products...cyles/hard.asp
Name:  IMG_0163.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  67.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0166.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  61.8 KB

Old 05-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

damm, now im going to have a tank bag, a gps, a camera, a radar detector and a cup holder on my bike. go go gadget ninja.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

do they make those with a red display ?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

what do you guys think of this mount ? one on each tube for the gps and the detector. ?? mabey ideas, discuss
http://www.radarbusters.com/products...unts/70050.asp

Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: evil636
do they make those with a red display ?
Yeah, but I got this one: http://www.radarbusters.com/products...onics/rx65.asp

Red display, similar performance to the one Notstock has, plus VOICE... I've got it hooked up to my Autocom so even if I'm listening to some tunes I can still hear the beeps, and which band the alert is on... "BeepBeep K-Band BeepBeep" or "BeepBurp K-A-Band BeepBurp". It's great knowing exactly what's going on, but not having to take my eyes off the road.

I kind of like having it in my tank bag for the stealthy factor... though it does seem to be somewhat less sensitive than when it's mounted in my car. I'm not sure if I may have been treated differently if as the sheriff drove by he saw a radar detector mounted on my bike... As it is now, unless he opens up my tankbag, there is NO way to tell I've got a RD on my bike, just a cool speaker/intercom system...

NS... Sidenote... What's the little sock on your brake fluid resevoir for? I've seen a few of them now...

Quick Reply: Radar Detector?