General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Ninja 250 or Vulcan 500??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Question Ninja 250 or Vulcan 500??

Just got my license and I'm looking for my first bike. I've narrowed it down to a used 2008 Ninja 250 or Vulcan 500. In the MSF class I rode the Kaw 125 cruiser, but I really like the looks of the new Ninja 250s. I've sat on the '09 Ninja, but wasn't allowed to ride it, without cash . The bikers I know say I'll quickly outgrow a 250 cruiser (hence the 500), but with everything I read about the Ninja 250 I don't think I'll need anything larger.

None of my friends have bikes, so I'd just be using this for fun around town and driving to work on nice days. I'm hoping this is the time of the year to get the best deals. Vulcan is about $1000 more, but the Ninja costs more to repair if it gets dropped. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Default Ninja 250

Ninja 250R has a nice new stylish looks.About the engine size - well it all depends how fast you would want to go. If I am a commuter I'd get it - average speed limit is 45mph and the 250cc motor will have no problem doing that and going over it too. The motor is very good on gas economy too.The bike is light - easy to man over around traffic and the engine is very reliable and easy to maintain.
---------------------------------
jillcatrina

Link building

Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally, I wouldn't settle for an engine size less than 500cc. After having a Vulcan 500 for almost 8000 miles in just over the year I had it I loved the thing. I had installed an after market windshield and sissy-bar and the thing was great for commuting. It cut down on the wind and I could strap things to the sissy bar and not worrying about them flying off.

Now, I haven't ridden a 250Ninja but have ridden my bro's 500Ninja and although they are fun, the weight was a bit light for me (I'm 5'10" 185) on the highways where I live for the winds that kick up around here, some days I would be leaning a bit to say in one place. With my Vulcan 500 I had about 474-500lbs and that was plenty of weight to play around on the freeway. The bike was balanced nice and I could take corners amazingly well (would scrape pegs before it felt squirly) and I could plant my feet when I came to stop lights.

Sooo, enough said. When deciding, just think of which one you would use 10+ years from now, that's what I did. Right now you might only want it for around town, next year you might want to take a long trip though and a 250 might not cut it. But I'm biased towards cruisers so just follow some advice and what your desires

Ride safe

Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

You'll learn better, and learn faster with a 250. It's good for close to 100 mph, but its revvy and will make you work hard. That's good for you.

500s encourage lazy riding as well as being good for getting you into trouble.

Whether it's blown around is a result of the areodynamics more than the weight. In general, the lighter a bike is, the better, but that is personal preference. If you like a lazy cruising bike that argument isn't necessarily valid.

For a first bike I'd go for a used 250 with minimal bodywork, intended as an all rounder. As well as learning to ride, it'll give you the option of trying different styles of riding on the same bike. Don't buy a bike with the intention of keeping it for a long time, as what you want from a bike may well change as you learn to ride it. The used Ninja would be my choice. Fit some frame sliders - they do a very good job of protecting the plastics in a low speed drop.

Rob

Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

two generally different riding styles - it depend son what you want to do with the bike - if you are just going to commute with it and go on the occassional cruise then get the 500 - it will be more comfortable, has a little bit more torque for around town

the 250 will get amazing gas milage but won't be as enjoyable unless you are using it to carve corners.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Got to disagree here. Around town the 250 is more agile and the light weight is a major advantage for getting through traffic. More than enough torque to out drag about 99% of cars, but you do need to use the gears. Again the 500 gives a more relaxed ride and you have to shift less, but it's a better choice for sitting in the traffic queues rather than getting past them.

In fact for around town riding very little beats a 125cc twist and go scooter, but I wouldn't reccomend one for really learning to ride on.

I'm not convinced that the 250 gives amazing gas mileage though. Good certainly, but not amazing.

Rob

Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Um, well I'm not quite sure where you're coming from on the whole "cruisers promote laziness" thing, that's a stereotype if I've ever heard one. I don't know about you, but on my cruiser I watched my *** every time I'm out there and always took a chance to practice defensive riding when I was on the road by myself. 8000 miles in just over a year, I rode that thing every chance I got up here in the northwest (when it wasn't pouring down rain), in the city, country, freeway, and major metro areas.

With the getting blown around, not much you can do with a 25mph cross wind on a motorcycle I don't care what kind of fairing you have on that thing.

I was just giving my experience here since I happened to own the Vulcan 500, not trying to argue against the 250. Whatever fits the rider and their needs is the best choice man.

I might as well add in a stereotype too. Sport bikes (although I love riding them) promote wreckless riding habits and dangerous speeds.

Last edited by osufireman; 10-28-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM
1st Gear Member

By lazy I just meant that you don't have to work so hard shifting and keepingthe motor buzzing. Cruisers are lower revving with a wider spread of torque.

The comment was really aimed at 500s in general - you don't have to work so hard. A first bike that makes you work hard will improve your riding in the long run. It's esp[ecially true if you intend to move up to a sports bike and be able to get the best from it.

The comments on defensive riding go without saying. It's also true that nothing makes you proof against cross winds, but some bikes are better than others.

Rob

Old 10-29-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the comments... still searching. Not having much luck winning any Ninjas on ebay (seems many of bikes are overpriced- perhaps people who paid too much from the dealerships...) and haven't found many late model Vulcans. Went to my local dealer a few days ago and they're expecting a 2006 Vulcan 500 on a trade soon.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

good luck on your decision

Quick Reply: Ninja 250 or Vulcan 500??