General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

My Heart is Broken……

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Heart is Broken……

Engines have Nipples? lol
My ZX7 is a steel liner why the Question on your ride and I think all or most bikes started coating the cylinders around 95 or so. I went oem .5mm kawasaki pistons and did not have to mess with the nikisil(sp) recoating. So most likely a recoating after a honing would be in order if the cylinders miked out wrong for your 2000 yami.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Engines have Nipples? lol
My ZX7 is a steel liner why the Question on your ride and I think all or most bikes started coating the cylinders around 95 or so. I went oem .5mm kawasaki pistons and did not have to mess with the nikisil(sp) recoating. So most likely a recoating after a honing would be in order if the cylinders miked out wrong for your 2000 yami.
Dam that was freaking Chinese.

I have read through the service manual lots of measuring to test everything, is this what you are referring too.

Can I assume that the pistons are ok and i just need to replace the rings? Well not just!

Nipple, better then saying that thingy the hose is hooked up too lol

Old 08-24-2006, 05:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Like Walight mentioned. What were the compression test results and leak down results? Write that good info down in your log. I have even tried a 20/50 oil to see if the bearings or rings are running loose.
I was talking measurements of the cylinder bore after inspecting the pistons and rings.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Has 15/50 right now.

What do you do if the cylinders do not measure to spec? Do the pistons get a thicker ring to make up for it or do you go to a larger piston?

Can I just replace all the parts to new and that would be the fix or is everything depending on the measurements?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Ns..that sux man. I just can't believe it's a rod. Maybe the pin in the rod, or a lower bearing. Really can't tell until you tear her down. I would do a compression and leak down tests, like dragone is saying. If the cylinder bore is out of round, then you are going to dig deep in your pocket book. If that's the case, maybe a used motor... A loose rod or pin is not going to cause blowby, just mak noise until it finally gives way. With the blowby, Sounds like rings. You all ready did the valves.

Everything is going to be dependant on the measurements. You can not put a larger set of rings on, just doesn't work that way. The last mc engine I had bored and resleeved, was a $1300.00 quote from the machine shop. That was just the machine work, and sleeves and pistons, and rings. That did not include bearings, gaskets, etc...

My best guess would be, compression ring, possible lower half failure. Maybe new crank. If the bearings are running loose, did it cause any crank scarring? New crank, bearings, rings, possible cylinder scarring? If ones bad, the other three are not far behind it. You would want to change everything in sets of course. Then you have all the end play that has to be within spec, on the crank etc.. That is some pretty serious machine work, and some cash, to get your motor back to being right, if the lower half is bad. I don't want to be the pessimistic one here, but it is not as simple as throwing one new bearing in. or ring slapping it, ya know. Runout measurement on each journal, side clearance play, oblong mains or rods...etc.

The chances of finding an R1 with compatible motor, with low miles, on a wrecked bike maybe, seem like they are quite good.

I'm not saying don't tear into her, but don't expect a quick hundred dollar spun bearing fix. Ya know what I mean...
Sorry to hear man. That sux... Of course none of us are there to hear it, or help ya. Is it possible to get a second opinion? If you do not have a compresion tester, leakdown tester, etc, most rental places do rent those. GL man, I'll keep my eyes open just in case..

Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch! That sucks! I hope you can figure out something soon. If all else fails, jump on a plane and come up here - I might let you take mine through some twisites, j/k you can hop on the back!!

Just don't let it get you down, I have faith in ya - you'll get her fixed up.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

bigrig, are you talking about the piston rods being pad? How much are a set of rings? If a ring has gone bad, and the cylinder walls are good and pistons are ok, shouldn't the replacement of the rings fix the problem?

Old 08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

r1 motor on ebay here ya go

Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

I was checking around for motors, I am concerned about buying something like that off ebay, only 8k on a 6year old motor and then the guy does not accept pay pal. But that is my buyer bewares radar going off.

One way or another the engine has to come out so if I have to remove it I might as well tear it down and learn more, do the measurements and then can make a better decision on what course to steer. If nothing else my tool collection should grow a little aaaaargggarrgaggaagrrrraaaaggg. lol

BB i would be glad to get behind you on your bike, but it would still be in the garage with the door down [sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=badbadbad.gif] sounds like fun [sm=goodidea.gif]

Quick Reply: My Heart is Broken……