General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Motorcycle jacket/Helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Default Motorcycle jacket/Helmet??

Hello everyone-

O.k. my ? is, is there a diff as far as safety if i were to get just say a simple black helmet for around $120 bucks as opposed to getting one that costs around 300 bucks? While looking on the net it seemed as though the ones that were in the 300's were just because of looks/graphics. Also the same ? for a jacket. The reason i ask is because i hope to spend about $250. - $300. total for my jacket and helmet if alls the diff is, is the brand/looks...

Thanks,

Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Motorcycle jacket/Helmet??

First off welcome to KF and glad to hear you are getting gear, it’s a must.

There is a difference, but not a lot in the helmet side, there has been studies and they show a 150.00 kbc helmet performs as well or better than a 500.00 one.

Most of the extra bucks come from branding and features. You will learn about the necessity for cretin features after you have been ridding for a while. Like added ventilation, the strap and visors.

Jackets that cost 450 bucks like the Joe Rocket Speedmaster will hold up better and still be usable after being down compared to a 150.00 jacket.

Best advice is if what you can afford is 300.00 then get the 300.00 gear, it will be 500% better than no gear for sure. Also get gloves and boots that cover your ankle. Riding pants or at least good jeans, although a pair of jean sliding on the pavement at 60+ MPH will offer little protection.

Later you will figure out what you need as far as the features go and you will undoubtedly purchase more and probably better gear.

Gear up and arrive alive and with skin.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:36 AM

Thanks, alot NS i appreciate those tips to keep me safe...

-HAWWK
ORIGINAL: Notstock

First off welcome to KF and glad to hear you are getting gear, it’s a must.

There is a difference, but not a lot in the helmet side, there has been studies and they show a 150.00 kbc helmet performs as well or better than a 500.00 one.

Most of the extra bucks come from branding and features. You will learn about the necessity for cretin features after you have been ridding for a while. Like added ventilation, the strap and visors.

Jackets that cost 450 bucks like the Joe Rocket Speedmaster will hold up better and still be usable after being down compared to a 150.00 jacket.

Best advice is if what you can afford is 300.00 then get the 300.00 gear, it will be 500% better than no gear for sure. Also get gloves and boots that cover your ankle. Riding pants or at least good jeans, although a pair of jean sliding on the pavement at 60+ MPH will offer little protection.

Later you will figure out what you need as far as the features go and you will undoubtedly purchase more and probably better gear.

Gear up and arrive alive and with skin.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-20-2006, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If you are gonna wear jeans, you should check out Icon's field armor. They make abrasion resistant shorts and knee/shinguards that will fit under most pairs of jeans. I just got mine, and can't wait to try em out.

The shorts are around $80, and the leg guards are like $65, but when it comes to protection, its better than a doctor bill.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:02 PM

If you are looking for cheap gear, try newenough.com
They have great prices IMHO.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Back to the helmet piece. I was under the impression that some of the more expensive helmets were more designed for racing and were somewhat more compact. Infact I was thinking about taking back the helmet I recently purchased because it's so large (not fitting, but the outside). Any ideas?

Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Back to the features, one of the possibilities you get when buying more expensive gear. Weight, aero dynamics, ventalation, graphics just some of them.

This is the last helmet I bought, http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethe...huberth_s1.htm

it is the second one because the first was tested and replaced buy the other drivers insurance company. The second one has a good scratch on it form a hit and run, I replaced the visor and the sunshade and I am still using it today.

The site is a great place for research as well.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I check out ridegear.com they have name brands and decent prices. They also have sections for their closeout deals. I got my HJC helmet for $80 shipped. Joe Rocket Ballistics textile coat $150. Joe rocket gloves $50 (they were from a local bike shop) My advice for you if you are trying to stay in a budget, just shop around, there are tons of similar sites out there.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

if you want gear cheap....ebay is your friend.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle jacket/Helmet??