General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Old 05-15-2010, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Video - Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS

Institute researchers compared the fatal crash experience of antilock-equipped motorcycles against their nonantilock counterparts during 2003-08. The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years. Bolstering this finding is a separate analysis by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI), an affiliate of the Insurance Institute. HLDI analyzed insurance claims filed for crash damage to motorcycles. Bike models with antilocks have 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year (a vehicle year is 1 vehicle insured for 1 year, 2 insured for 6 months, etc.) than the same models without antilocks. The results update earlier studies by the Institute and HLDI published in 2008. In 2009 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that it was looking at the issue in light of the Institutes earlier study but stated that an additional year of data and additional analyses are needed to determine the statistical significance of the results.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Of course none of that can be attributed to the higher skill of the riders on the ABS bikes since few if any beginners will buy bikes at the prices of most all ABS equipped bikes, now can it.

Face it, most all IIHS related data will be slanted against motorcycles in general and always slanted toward whatever they feel will minimize any payout by the insurance industry. It's not for the good of society it is for the bottom line of the insurance industry. Maybe the NHTSA might consider this in their collection of data... but probably not.

A realistic comparison would have specific models with ABS versus the same model without ABS and take into consideration the numbers of each sold. Then it might be adjusted for the number of first time riders who always crash at a higher rate.

I'm fairly sure the results of fatalities per 10,000 registered vehicles on the ABS equipped Honda CBR600RRs will be much lower than the numbers on non-ABS Honda CBR600RRs since there are far more of the latter sold than the former, plus the number of new riders that might start with the latter as their first or second bike with little experience.

Then you have to find out what kind of accident made them a statistic. Was it a crash that could have been avoided by ABS. If not, then it's inaccurate.

It's pretty much true that you can make statistics say what you want.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Blah, blah, blah; I still don't like ABS. The main reason being, you bang-bang-bang (pulsation) to a stop instead of skidding. I prefer to have control of what my car/bike does when I put on the brakes. I can USE the skidding to my advantage; i.e. I know if I need to find the safe way around something, instead of wondering when the hell I'm going to stop! There's more direct feedback in a panic situation without ABS than with ABS, IMHO. If you PRACTICE panic stops, you'll know just how much room you have to get around somebody. I'll take my NON-ABS bike (and SUV) any day.
I agree, KLX^, you can make any statistic look great.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I do not like my ecu governed let alone my brakes. A lot of faith goes into your riding skills but when you know that a solid state board made in taiwan is governing your life? I would rather stick with what I do have some control over.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not do brake by wire like Toyota, that worked well.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prom
Why not do brake by wire like Toyota, that worked well.

hahaha, or was that gas pedal by wire?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

it was actually both, which is why it became a problem. Computers are the enemy

Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

As ABS doesn't activate until you've made a mistake and started to lock up one wheel, I don't see that it detracts from your control or your skill. If it activates, your skill and control wasn't good enough. As an insurance policy for when you screw up, I can't see any objection to it. It's no substitue for practice though.

In three years with an ABS bike, riding a lot in rain, I've only ever activated the system deliberately to test it out - never in normal riding, including a couple of emergency braking activities.

If the system fails, you still have normal control of the brakes anyway. The only downside is a slightly soft feel to the front brake because of the extra long brake lines. That's easily cured with braided lines.

If you have the skill to start with, ABS takes nothing away from you. If you haven't, it might keep you alive.

Rob

Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

another ABS thread?

ABS is dandy on snow or rain wet roads. horrible in dirt or gravel roads.

The statistic is weak because it doesn't compare the results to just that or rider experience or for the type of motorcycle, just with or without ABS. The statistic can be easily explained away and possibly even reversed if you do comparable comparisons factoring in both rider age/experience/and type of motorcycle.

its a VERY weak statistic supporting someone's agenda.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Numbers dont lie, but the people arranging the numbers do. ABS could be a good thing for alot of riders, but I still want the choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle Fatal Crash ABS Brakes vs Non-ABS