General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

issue getting my front tire off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Default issue getting my front tire off the ground

Hey everyone. I got a 01 zx-12 about 2 months ago and i have had a hudge problem doing wheelies. I also have a suzuki tl1000r and i can pull that up with no issues at all. I have noticed when i rip the thottle to get the torque needed to pull the front wheel up that the rpm's jump and the engine spulls up but nothing happens and then the tire grabbs and the rpm's drop and it speeds up ridiculously fast. but no power to get the front wheel up. does anyone know if there is a fuel bypass the cuts the fuel in that sinario or maybe a traction controll. I know that i ahve read posts in other forum sites that they can get theres up all the way through 4th gear. but they have all said they have exhausts and a power commander. can anyone tell me what is going on? thanks

Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: issue getting my front tire off the ground

welcome to KF. maybe the clutch is sliping??

Old 06-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Also welcome to KF,
A 12 will wheelie in 4th? I know it has power but to me that is not good. The TL is totally a different animal in comparison. But the clutch slippage idea above sounds pretty much on par if what you aresaying is correct.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

My 9 will come up in 3rd if I want it to - so I could easily see a 12 coming up in 4th... a friend at work has one - I will ask him.

Sounds like the clutch to me too... probably too many attempts at wheeling it hehehe

Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 PM

Hey thanks everyone. That would be great if you could ask your friend at work. Please let me know what he says. as far as the clucth slipping i kinda thought that to but i am not trying to get it up when i am holding the clucth. I make sure that i am in gear and am just using the shear torque of the bike. if anyone else has any info i would greatly appreciate it and i will look at my clucth and make sure it is good to go. thanks again.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

if your trying to clutch it up you might be slipping the clutch while your atempting to get the front tire of the ground. try powering it up that might work better. if that doesn't do it your clutch is slipping.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

you could always go with a bigger rear sprocket if u want to get that from wheel up

Old 07-04-2007, 03:36 AM

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice and so everyone knows it was the clutch. slapped a new one in and it runs like the dream bike. again thanks it works great.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the fix traddzx12r

Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on bro are you 12:00ing it now or what??
ORIGINAL: traddzx12r

Hey everyone thanks for all the advice and so everyone knows it was the clutch. slapped a new one in and it runs like the dream bike. again thanks it works great.

Quick Reply: issue getting my front tire off the ground