General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

exhaust not loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default exhaust not loud enough

i put a jardine slip on my bike and its not loud enough is there anything i can do to it to make it louder because honestly it hardly sounds any louder. i have a 04 636, and its the race baffle thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

uhmm... if you really really just want sound, you could just hollow out the stock pipe...

however, im sadly un-fimilar with streetbike's so im not sure if you have to cut the arrestor out or if it has screws. either way, look at right where the exhaust gasses comes out/where the pipe ends, if it has screws, un-screw them... if not just cut across the can, taking about an inch off of the end of the pipe. pull out the big black filter looking doodle, and the can should now be hollow. start the bike and cover your ears.

p.s. i never actually worked an a legitimate streetbike. i know most/all bike exhausts are the same, and from the ones i have worked on (tonnes and tonnes of dirtbikes/enduro's) then this will work. but to be on the safe side, you might want to wait for someone to +1 me/flame the living hell out of me for being so dumb

Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

p.s. i said stock exhaust.. you can do the same w/ the jardine as well if you nolonger have the stock pipe....

but i have yet to meet someone willing to cut a new jardine open cus some 16 year old punk on a forum online said it was a good idea

Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

You only use the bike on the track I take it. If not stop annoying people and put a quiet system on

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

You want the exhaust sound nice and low for the po-po, then scream in the high revs!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
You only use the bike on the track I take it. If not stop annoying people and put a quiet system on
What he said. If all you care about is sound, buy a stereo system, not a motorcycle.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Try twisting the throttle back a little more. Quit putting around at 4000K RPM.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM
1st Gear Member

i'd say remove the packing from the can, but you kinda need it.. it is there for a specific reason, and not just to baffle the sound.

theres that whole backpressure thing involved.. lol

but, if you want your neighbors to hate you, then run a straight pipe.. or, do like i said and remove the packing from the can.

you'll have to chose between loud and carbon buildup and 10 hours in the shop getting the valve seats reground and lapped. lol

loud is fun, tho.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The problem might lie in the header. Lots of stock Kawasaki headers have baffling inside. A full aftermarket exhaust would be the way to go. But I cannot say if the 636 has this or not. Maybe someone else can comment.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 for Whitehendrix:
You want loud and obnoxious, go buy a Harley..

Quick Reply: exhaust not loud enough