General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

clutch yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Default clutch yes or no?

Some people say you need to use the clutch when shifting up only, down only, all the time, or not at all. When is it neccessary to use the clutch?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Default RE: clutch yes or no?

low rpms clutch for shifting up, high rpms and really getting on it, no clutch for the upshift, always use the clutch for downshift no matter what. thats how i roll..

Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the clutch all the time. But that's just me.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with FoG, I hardly every use tie clutch to up shift and use it only to take off in first and when banging down to the appropriate gear. I also do not downshift or engine brake, that's what the brakes are for.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: FuryofGreen

low rpms clutch for shifting up, high rpms and really getting on it, no clutch for the upshift, always use the clutch for downshift no matter what. thats how i roll..
Name:  1.gif
Views: 13
Size:  1.4 KB

Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Clutch down for me that's about it.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:47 AM

i disagree i can downshift, upshift everything without the clutch, but i asked a mechanic at the dealership and he straight up laughed at me when i asked about if i should shift without the clutch, he said the clutch forks, or something i dont quite remember, but he said that replacing and having the labor done on f'ed up clutch can cost around 2 grand...its nice being able to shift without the clutch, and it sure is a whole lot easier, but when i heard how much it costs to fix it i automatically quit shifting up and down without the clutch...JMO

Old 09-24-2006, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont use the clutch and have never had a problem. only thing i use it for is to put it in first. Oh and uneducated...might help to learn mechanics....as the dealer will *** rape you

Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 AM

lol lovely way to put that, and like i said, i didnt use it, but then i heard things from people, and i understand the dealer will *** rape me, but theyre guys i know, im getting a job at this place, and they treat me pretty well...and when i asked i felt that the bike was supposed to be shifted without the clutch, because it does it so easily, and smoothly, but hearing other peoples thoughts about it, made me change my mind...

Old 09-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

My bike has a clutch? lol

I never clutch up, depends on the situation on down..... 40,000 miles old, original clutch....hhhhhmmmmmmm....lol

Quick Reply: clutch yes or no?