General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!
View Poll Results: A poll
38.76%
23.03%
14.04%
Doesn't matter what you start on
24.16%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Beginner Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Beginner Bikes

I think it depends. In 2005I went to buy a 600 katana/ZZR600, fell in love with the ZX6RR and then bought a crated 2003 Z1000...all in the same day! This is the wrong way to buy a bike but I was scared to ride it, let alone open it up. Ive never dropped it but I have came close a few times (almost always my fault) and I am still scared of it.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM

This has been a very helpful thread. I am looking at getting my first bike, and I am weighing both the 250 and the 500 Ninjas. I think it's good to know that respect is a very important part of any motorcycle. But the most relevant thing I read on here is that even experienced riders like 250's because they can really wring it out and not feel like the bike will get out of control easily. I need the safety and peace of mind that comes from a low-torque bike. That will help me explore both the limits of the motorcycle and those of myself.

Now if only I could be patient enough to wait for the right deal...

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

i waited and found my bike. it's an 88 750R, respect and maybe a little fear is what you need i think to stay safe. My dad has taught me that your safe until you don't fear the bike and it's capabilities anymore because that's when you get stupid and try things beyond your ability.

the 750 for me is the perfect weight (i'm a bigger guy) and has more than enough power to keep me entertained. i think it's all about repect, a little fear, and how well you protect yourself with defensive driving and gearing up.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 AM

Well, I actually just pruchased my first bike yesterday morning. '08 Ninja 650R... I had taken the MSF a year earlier and took the time to think about which bike I thought would be the best for me instead of rushing out there and buying the biggest, coolest looking thing I could get my hands on at the time. After riding it for two solid days I can say that I made the best decision for me. And boy are these things fun.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM

My First, and current, bike is the Eliminator 125. It'll never win any races, but it's a cool looking bike, and I love the old girl.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM

My first street bike is the 650r everyone thought that it would be too much but it's not. It's lighter then a 500r and the bike is a smooth ride.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

You know GERG has allot of good comments. I have ridden all my life, since i was 4. Raced dirt for 16 years and had numerous bike. I think it boils down to respect. The minute you lose the respect is the minute something happens. As in comfort "OH I GOT THIS", AND THEN YOU LOOP IT. I ride 2007 HD softail customed out, 2002 HD softail classic, 1996 ZX7R (my baby). My wife and I ride allot, our son is 16 and very mature for his age and been riding since he was 5. He is a big boy, 6ft and 195. We took him down to our local dealer and let him sit on a 250 Ninja. I have to say he looked funny on it and he wanted to look at the GSXR600. He ended up getting the GSXR 600 and loves it. He respects it and rides with us everywhere we go. I told him for now he rides with us only. He rides very well and respects the bike. He found out that the bike is totally different at 60-70 mph. Nothing like spending time with the family on the rode. Anyways it all boils down to respect for the bike and people around you. My .2

Im not ******* the Ninja 250, I personally like it. Just my sons decision.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 AM

I started on a 2002 Suzuki SV650. I thought it was perfect as a beginner bike.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm confused. I read a few replies and if you are learning to...letssay shift wouldn't you want something that isn't forgiving? Because later on down the road thats what you might have. Something that isn't forgiving when you shift too fast. If you learn on something that is "eh doesn't matter how fast i release" isn't that going to be your frame of mind for the future?

I think you want to learn on the bike that you will ride most. Just because you get a feel for something, that doesn't mean the next thing you hop on is going to feel the same. It's a whole new learning process. Getting a feel for the bike.

Iread it all the time "i ride a bigger bike, but i like the 250 because i can really open it up". You adjust your riding style based on what you are riding. "i started with a 250 but needed more power" again adjusting your riding style.

I can't see it mattering to a certain point what you start out on. Just who the rider is.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I actually learned on a 4 wheeler in April lol! My boyfriend took me April 26th this year and bought me a 2008 250r and I love it! I got a little over 400 miles on it now but it's a great bike.. I don't think I could have started out on anything else just from being around friends bikes and theirs are much bigger and so much faster.. I could probably do major damage with a bigger bike! Here's a picture of my baby!

Quick Reply: Beginner Bikes