Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   General Motorcycle Discussion (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/)
-   -   Beginner Bikes (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/general-motorcycle-discussion-66/beginner-bikes-3732/)

Dragone#19 08-02-2006 09:18 AM

RE: Beginner Bikes

ORIGINAL: BIG V

i started on a katana 750 and no jokes please im embarassed enough LOL
why, you went from the kanatuna to a 10 right? hehe

hey first rides are great if a person learns something and has a good time.

BIG V 08-02-2006 09:43 AM

i guess ur right dragon but i really did not learn anything on it i knew how to ride before i got it on dirt and street bikes in italy and i did not have a licsence or insurance when i got it my dad plated it for me and i sold it after three months because i knew i was going to die:( but that is too long of a story my 10 i really consider my first bike becuase this i really ride it the best that i can and leagaly LOL

BigO 08-03-2006 08:52 PM

I started on a Honda Rebel 250. Got ride of that about 6 months after riding it. Waited 10 years before getting my 04 636. taking the Riders Saftey Course was the best thing I did though. Learned alot about handeling techniques.

Dragone#19 08-06-2006 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: bluebird

Depending on the person's maturity level, common sense and self restraint, maybe they could start on any bike. I dunno.......

I started on a 500.
I still agree with this quote above.

FuryofGreen 08-06-2006 07:07 AM

i started in a 96 honda cbr 600 f3 smokin joes replica when miguel duhamel had won 4 years straight. i couldnt afford the 6r at the time nor could i get credit for it. it was a nice bike, i was 18 when i got it and wrecked it after about 3 months. then i used the insurance money and bought a 94 zx9r 2 weeks later. rode that for a year in orlando and it was stolen. now im on the 636 9 years later. i rode dirt all my life, and i think anyone can start on anything as long as you are matched for size.. i wouldnt put a 5 foot tall girl on a busa or anything but you get the drift. its not like they take off like rocket ships or anything.. all street bikes are pretty tame until you learn how to power them up and ride hard. its not like they have so much power they take off uncontrollably..

NinjaGirly636 08-13-2006 07:05 AM

I started on a 2003 gsxr 600, first bike i ever rode, and went gixxer crazy, then picked up a kawasaki 750 and just fell in love with them[sm=loveeyes.gif] , wish i started out with one instead of a gixxer.

BigRig18Wheeler 08-13-2006 07:17 AM

Yup, Kawi has a way of doing that..:D

Welcome to the forums NinjaGirly.

skweekie 08-14-2006 11:54 PM

I started on a 600 and would have chose that as an option but it wasn't on the list... so i picked 500.

nemo636 08-15-2006 12:04 PM

I 100% agree it's a respect level you have for the bike. People can start on a 'Busa or a Rebel, it's all the same. I didn't know what I wanted as a first bike: dirt bike or street. So I bought a XR650L enduro. Beautiful bike (still have it cause it's only 8 months old!). I learned to maintain it, mount tires, put on exhaust slip-ons, rejet it. All manuals and many hours in the garage or hauling ass to Sears for tools I didn't have. Fell in the dirt a bit, learned my boundaries as a rider on the dirt, and learned to manuever that thing through horrible traction conditions. Felt the bug for a street bike and sat on EVERYTHING in the dealership. 636 fit the bill and I bought it never riding a street bike. Wouldn't change a thing. Sometimes it's an intimidation thing, like a monkey over your shoulder telling you that you're going to fall. First couple high-sides off the XR and I was over falling, took it as part of the process, and I know for a fact that took a lot out of the fear of riding a Ninja. As soon as I had the difference in physics and positioning from a dirt bike to a street bike I've been comfortable. I think the major reasons for wrecks are people simply getting in over their heads. It could be their bike is too powerful for them, but maybe because they're honestly afraid of it, or wrecking, or hell just the Suburban pulling through your lane @ 60MPH.

Find something you're comfortable on, put on some decent gear, and don't be afraid to learn. If you can, put in some dirt time too, cause it doesn't hurt as bad!

Magliwan 08-30-2006 03:52 AM

I think it depends on your size and weight...(ha ha, see my first post). You want a bike that you can handle and that can handle you.;)