General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

95 zx 7 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Default 95 zx 7 help

i am currently in afghanistan and getting ready to come back home. i have decided even though i am going to get a new liter bike eventually i cant leave my ninja in the shape it is. i am going to try and upgrade almost everything but dont have to much experience doing this stuff myself. mainly i need to know how much trouble im going to have finding a lighter gas tank and other parts. my forks are old and seals are shot what is the best way to fix that and what can i get just any forks. i got more questions but those are the biggest and ive had trouble finding anyone that knows about "such an old bike"....its a great bike and i also going to try and drop as much weight off i can. new sprocket wheels and need help there also.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

And, finding parts for 90's bikes can be difficult. (Ask me how I know.) However, the 7 had many many good years, and played a big part in AMA racing back in the days. There are probably some used racer parts out there, but beware of junk. Items like fork seals and other common items are still available through aftermarket parts catalogs, like Dennis Kirk, and (probably some vendors on this site.) Ask yourself what your budget is; wheels can get pricey in a hurry, but they're out there. Forks? 7's had pretty decent forks. Why not just rebuild them? I'd go with an aftermarket shock, though. The weight of the 7's is a handicap you can lessen, but not make yourself really "competitive" with new bikes; you just can't do it. However, we probably CAN give you some pointers on ways to make the most out of a really great bike. 7's are not cutting edge by today's standards, but they had excellent development over the years. I'd probably hang onto it regardless, and if you absolutely MUST have more competitive speed, I'd buy something newer.
BTW, thanks for your service. You guys and gals are the BEST!!!
Stay safe, OK?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If you do not have the minimal tools required for the forks just yet, give it to your favorite shop to replace the seals. Not that much $'s to get you going. You will most likely have seal issues on the carb boots, vacuum lines etc as well. I wouldn't really concentrate on shaving weight off of the ride until after you have maintained what you have already. The 7's are a fun ride to own. Congrats

Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM

thanks for the help and trust me im not trying to race the zx 7 agianst newer bikes i just want to make it the best ride i can we have history together and ill never get rid of it. also can any of you tell me the best way to replace the farings? or do i have to just suck it up and dish out the dough for good parts. i dont have a lot of money but as i said i want to do it right and i can just keep getting new pieces as i get money.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i just want to make it the best ride i can we have history together and ill never get rid of it
I can relate to that statement. I still have my '90 zx7 that I picked up in Apr '90.

There are a few fiberglass and abs fairing manufacturers out there. I have found that most will have the '91 and newer fairings available. I have used http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/ with good results. Not many companies carry or make older than '91 fairings as well.