General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

'83 GPz750 Revival Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default '83 GPz750 Revival Project

Well, I figured I would document me reviving a GPz750 that I recently purchaed since it was in storage since '85, fired up in 2005, and stored again till this past August when I bought it.

First things first, I disassembled the bike by removing the seat,the rear faring, tankand fender. I dumped the old gas that was still in the tank and I vacuumed out the mice poop and nests out of the rear faring and the air box. I had to move the wet vac outside afterwards to dump and rinse because it stunk so bad. As you can see, I also put a box fan into the window to vent out the remained stink... lol! I also cut the wiring to the rear lights sunce I had to rewire anyways since the mice made a meal of it.

I also removed the windscreen since it was spideringall along the mounting screw holes.

I then removed the airbox and carbs to get cleaned out (and sanatized!) and ran the K&N thru a filter recharge. I started the dissasembly of carbs...

Cleaned the buckets with Carb cleaner and got the gunk out of the bottom. Taking out the jets, I noticed some grainy substance in one of the jets.

At this point, I talked with a buddy that owns a garage. He had just bought a new drum of carb cleaner that we will be soaking this in to clean out everything.

I will update again once I get these babies soaked.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: '83 GPz750 Revival Project

Ahhh, these are the kinds of projects I like! Looks like you're well on your way to reviving a classic. Keep up the good work!
Let us know if we can help.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on! keep us posted

Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Love doing stuff like this. After it is all said and done, it truely will be MY bike. I just orders a carb rebuilt kit and another set of carbs since one of the diaphragms was torn, and the carbs were cheaper than buying just one diaphragm. Plus I'llneed a few screwsI stripped out... Oops.[:'(]

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ITS ALIVE... ALIVE!!

OK, time for bed... posting pics and update tomorrow... LOL.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

sweet man, good to see someone restoring these older bikes like ours!!! i love the style of my bike so much i may restore it too, especially hearing that it's supposably 'rare'.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Keep us updated, i wanna see how this goes and best of luck with everything!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, long overdue posting... Work got me staying late for the past two days.

I got started on prepping some faring pieces for repaint by removing old factory stickers. Lemme tell ya, those things are a pain since they are like under a coat of clearcoat. Plus there was some peeling of the clear on these plastic pieces.

I got the carbs cleaned off and started reassembly once I recieved my carb rebuild kits and another set of carbs for some misc screws and a diaphragm. I reassembled and it is like a brand new set of carbs.

I got the airbox reinserted and had a crappy time getting the carbs back in, but nothing a few beers can't handle.

Dropped in the new battery, got the seat back on and fueled it up a little. It had a rough start, but when it did, it left me some surprises. Debris with some acorns and other stuff, so mice were livin in the exhaust pipes tool. Gonna have to take the pipes off to seeif I can sandblast and repowder them.

More updates coming as I move along. Next is gonna be changing fluids, checking electrical and major cleaning before it becomes too freezing to do much washing and scrubing.

And thanks for all the words of encouragements

Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

keep'em coming man. looking good!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

+1...nice project

Quick Reply: '83 GPz750 Revival Project