General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

05 636 sounds like a 650r at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 05 636 sounds like a 650r at idle

my name is justin, i just purchased a 636 from a local dealer. 11,000 miles. Before they loaded it onto my truck they took it for a test ride. They told me the bike sputtered a few times and suggested there might be water in the tank. (moisture) i put Heat in the tank and ran about half of the gas out, still the bike is sputtering occasionally at a constant speed, other times it will do it when im attempting to acclerate from nuetral to 1st. It has sputtered in 2nd and 3rd while giving it gas then eventually goes away for a while before returning. The messed up part is yesterday the bike sputtered after first startup in the morning, and completely went away for the remainder of my 35 min ride.. What is causing this sputter. I was told it could be a worn out coil pack, or possibly the bike running rich causing the plugs to get foiled with gas.. Help!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I would not have accepted the bike in that condition. I suggest you take it back.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not familiar with injected bikes, could be a number of things, air filter, coil, plugs/wires, injectors, fuel filter, ecu, various sensor problems, ad nausiam. If you cant narrow it down, talk to the dealer, any reputable store should work with you. Good Luck, let us know how it turns out

Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Ill try and post a video of exactly what my bike is doing. Cam quality wont be the greatest but youll get the gist of whats happening. I dont think its the ecu, well i hope to god its not the ecu, it seems to be either fuel or some kind of arching. I appreciate all the help.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

It's more likely that the fuel has been in that thing for quite some time and likely has gelled a bit in the injector tips. Get some good fuel injector cleaner and dilute it in the fuel over the next couple fill ups and that should take care of it. I agree with others who said they wouldn't have taken the bike in that condition. Never accept a product that isn't functioning properly at the time of delivery.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

i hear ya, it sputters in nuetral even when i rev it up to 10, could it still be the injectors? Anyhow i put some sea foam in the tank yesterday, havent had a chance to run it through yet. Well see how the next 4 gallons goes..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

on the 05 i had that problem from one of two reasons, gas gelled and the butterfly valve in the exahst failed causing the fi system to "limp home" it would rev and then everyonce in a while fell like it hit limiter and just power dropped and then it seemed when it went to a certain point on the tach it would build power back up

hope this helps, gas is the first place to start

Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this normal. When im in first gear, ill pull in the clutch and rev it a bit, and the bike tries moving foward.. Is it the slipper clutch doing that or do i need to tighten something up?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 take it back. 05 should run sweet.
Originally Posted by MaverickAus
I would not have accepted the bike in that condition. I suggest you take it back.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninja636lowell
Is this normal. When im in first gear, ill pull in the clutch and rev it a bit, and the bike tries moving foward.. Is it the slipper clutch doing that or do i need to tighten something up?
Its not the slipper clutch, just the fluid in the transmission. If its actually moving the bike you may need to adjust the clutch, but a little bit of forward pressure even at idle is normal. The slipper clutch keeps the rear end from passing you when you downshift too quickly.

Quick Reply: 05 636 sounds like a 650r at idle