General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

"deer hunter"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default "deer hunter"

I came across this on another forum and thought i'd share.

"2006 Ninja 250, Bright Yellow....$3,500 out the door.
KBC full face helmet....$100.
Joe Rocket Ballistic series jacket...Free(it was a gift from my sister)
Walking away from a 50mph impact with a doe.....PRICELESS!!!!

5am on Tuesday I was on my way home from work riding down RT 154 in Chester, Connecticut when what to my wondering eyes do I see, a small doe leaping into my lane.

Hard on the brakes, but not enough to lock the wheels, the impact is immenent. Just enough time for a four letter word to run through my head. A perfect T-bone and the bike explodes into a jillion pieces. The deer is killed instantly. I lowside down my lane on my left side, still holding the handlebars and my feet on the pegs. I slid on my left shoulder, and I could feel the shoulder pad grinding away. Not once did I panic, it was all very calm, sliding down the road well protected.

The bike comes to a rest, still in my lane, with no traffic in sight. I wiggle out from underneath the 300lb bike (try that with a Harley!) and drag it off to the side. I have a little road rash on my elbow, but otherwise I am perfectly fine. The sympathetic State Police Officer who showed up after I called 911 helps me move the bike to a dirt turnaround and issues a Deer Kill Incident Report. I guess they get a lot since they have an official form.

I had no collision insurance and my AAA does not cover motorcycles, but the Riders of Kawasaki membership I got with the bike may pay for the $145 tow charge. We'll see.

Many people have said "what a horrible accident"...I don't see it that way. Of course the deceased deer is a tragedy, and the bike sustained substantial damage, but I walked away with a minor scrape, thanks to the Joe Rocket jacket, leather gloves and boots, and the KBC helmet. Happiness is the proper equipment.

Fear will not keep me from riding, but the cost of the fairing might."

Old 05-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: "deer hunter"

So are we having venison steaks tonight or what?

Glad to here you are ok, the bike can be fixed or replaced, tough mistake for the deer though.

I ran over a squirrel the other day, saw him run and stop in the road, car went him and he darted over a couple of feet, all I could think of was hope this little fellow does not take me out. Sure enough I went right and so did the stupid little squirrel, bump bump and all was ok for me, poor squirrel is stashing his nuts in heaven now though.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Like you said, having the gear makes a difference. Too bad about the ride and on the gear damages. Glad that you are ok.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That was a prety cool write up...that's an awesome attitude right there!!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

you guys realize jayden didnt crash right ? she found that on another forum. great write up and frame of mind.

br, have you ever seen the squidbillies cartoon ?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Squid billies??? No, I have not.....lol.....I'm afraid to ask..

BTW, you should be receiving a box of goodies within the next week or so...

Old 06-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

awww sweet !!

that cartoon comes on adultswim. after the cartoon network goes to bed. i cant explain it but man, itll have you laughing all freakin night.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

A family of inbred squids tear the *** out of all creation in the North Georgia mountains. It's not all drinking, brawling and reckless gunplay.
www.adultswim.com/shows/squidbillies/ - 16k - Cached - Similar page

Old 06-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

ha ha ha ha!! I'm going to have to check that out... I saw some show on the adult swim once, can't remember what it was called, but it was a lot of retired super heroes, and a woman had a talking vagina! lol lol....It was too dam funny. I'll try to check it out tonight!!

Old 06-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Me bad. Took me two more reads to realize that. Thanks. lol
ORIGINAL: evil636

you guys realize jayden didnt crash right ? she found that on another forum. great write up and frame of mind.

br, have you ever seen the squidbillies cartoon ?