Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Too hot for leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Default RE: Too hot for leather?

I agree with Walight.

By the way, you are you doing Wayne?

Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 AM

So basically the general concensus is go with the full leathers and weird looks be damned? Or do most of you get by in the jeans + leather jacket?

(I also kinda like the field armor cause it would look so hardcore; obviously not my main concern, however)

Old 06-26-2006, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

i have a leather jacket and riding pants that are waterproof with armor in them, and I usually don't wear them unless its raining b/c they can't breathe. I had jeans on when i went down, I'll post a pic of them later, they got tore up pretty damn good but they did the job. I'd get the joerocket gpx suit you mentioned earlier b/c you can just wear the jacket when your out putting around and when its time to go play you can put the pants on.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: txredneckmedic

i wear leather and its 100+ here
thats because your one of the vilage people

Old 06-26-2006, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I wear leathers...rather sweat a little than bleed alot...

Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Amen brother........
ORIGINAL: Odimus

I wear leathers...rather sweat a little than bleed alot...

Old 06-27-2006, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's my rambling opinion...

Started with armored leather Dainese jacket, short gloves, steel-toed boots and jeans. Felt comfortable.

Then it hit 102 degrees during a ride. Now I have an armored Joe Rocket summer jacket, same gloves, same jeans some nice new Sidi boots and a funny tanline from where my short gloves don't cover the gap to the end of my sleeve....pretty comfortable, but now I kinda want to get to a track this year.....

Since I want to go to the track, I'll need a pair of leathers....and gaunlet-style gloves. So I ordered the gloves today and I'll pick up the leathers over the 4th of July weekend.

Why am I rambling??? I'm glad I've got all this gear, but I wish I'd thought of my final goal when I'd started...hope this helps.

...and I never bought a pair of chaps!

Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

good point, probley same reason i have 4 jackets 3 helmets 6 pairs of gloves, 2 sets of knee protectors, 2 pair of boots. lets just say i spent alot of money on gear when in reality i could of spent 1/4 of what i did and been safe. i too, do not have any chaps, just jeans but i wear the armor under them all the time.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 AM

Well that's why I'm debating with myself now.

Chances are I could 'get by' with field armor, jeans, a leather jacket, gloves, helmets, boots (I really love those icon Super Duty 2 Street Boots). That outfit is fairly safe, convienant (go to a party.. just take off the leg armor/jacket when I get there).

Now leather is obviously the safest thing but I don't know if I could stand the heat. Even in my car with the windows down I get hot wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Granted it's not the same level of wind-exposure but you catch my drift. Added to that fact that I don't want to be walking around in leather pants if I go somewhere for a long period of time (because really who wants to take a car).

I'll probably never hit the track, maybe in a few years, but even if I did I would have to buy a trailer and all that jazz too, the nearest track is kinda far from here.

So that's basically why I made this post is to find out if the 'street'-wear is appropriately safe or if I was gonna get a bunch of "You're crazy" responses.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: evil636

good point, probley same reason i have 4 jackets 3 helmets 6 pairs of gloves, 2 sets of knee protectors, 2 pair of boots. lets just say i spent alot of money on gear when in reality i could of spent 1/4 of what i did and been safe. i too, do not have any chaps, just jeans but i wear the armor under them all the time.
share the welth bro lol

Quick Reply: Too hot for leather?