DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

ZX9-ZX6-ZX10 VALVE ADJUSTMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hooligan, welcome to the forums. Its information like jcr's which helps all of us. Generally speaking, I think there's a certain implied caveat for folks doing repairs who ask questions on here. Most of the time, there's somebody who has experienced the same issue and can help. The caveat is that we don't have your particular assembly in front of us. While nearly all of us are willing to help offer suggestions based on experiences, we won't be 100% dead on, every time. We also won't be able to pinpoint requisite mechanical skill levels of the repairs, because everyone has "different tools."
Having said that, hooligan, keep us posted.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Hey. I have a 2006 kawasaki zx10r, and I want to check the valves, and adjust them if they are out. Is there a tutorial on the net somewhere, like this one, for for the 2006 zx10r, or any other year kawasaki, as long as it's similiar. I am having trouble getting the throttle bodies off my bike. I'm hoping a nice guide like this, well be my ticket. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris W. Reese
Hey. I have a 2006 kawasaki zx10r, and I want to check the valves, and adjust them if they are out. Is there a tutorial on the net somewhere, like this one, for for the 2006 zx10r, or any other year kawasaki, as long as it's similiar. I am having trouble getting the throttle bodies off my bike. I'm hoping a nice guide like this, well be my ticket. Thanks.

Welcome to KF and congrats on your ride.

The write up I thought was well done and is similar to your 06 10r. The specs for the 06 10r is different at Intake= .15-.24mm and the Exhaust= .17-.22mm

There is a technique in removing the TB's because of the frame. Tilting and rocking the assembly because of the frames proximity. I think that a good write up was in the 10r.net forums on this. The TB's do not need to be removed though for the valve adjustments.

Post up some pics of your ride. My 10r is a fun ride and has not let me down yet.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 AM

So upon hours of digging on the internet, I found a tutorial here : Drainfade.com :: "To the end of twisties and beyond..."

It seems to be a really good tutorial, however he unfortunetly, purposely leaves a step or two out because basically he's assuming that you have the shop manual and he's elaborating more, and providing petter pics, and imho a better write up.

To get my throttle bodies out, I actually got pissed off, trying to rock them to take them out, so I got my pry bar, and I had them out in under a minute. Now, I have the the cylinder head cover off, and I've measured the valve clearances once, but it was a quick measurement. I have no idea how to do it, so I did it once as a feeler to see how it's done, and tomorrow morning, I am going to go more indepth and actually measure the clearances. Although, from my quick measurement I have come up with atleast 2 valves that are tight. I have somewhere around 33 000 to 36 000KM on my bike, which is somewhere around 20 620 miles - 22 500 miles. The bike has always worked fantastic, except for the last year or 2 since the warranty has ran out on it, it's starting to develop problems. I have a huge noise in the lower part of the engine. I've checked the cam chain as best I could, and it seems fine, and the valves that are out of tolerance are tight, so they're not making a noise. My next step is going to be checking the alternator/starter clutch gears. I also checked the CCT, and I'm not sure if it needs replacement, I thought it did, but I"m unsure. I just hope it's something cheap.... I'm also to cheap to take it to the shop. Costs 500 - 600 bucks here for a shop to do a valve adjustment, and if that's not the problem (Which I don't think it is), then it's a waste.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 AM

They move slowly, so you do not really have noticed a lack of performance, until it was too late.