DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

HOW TO GET GP (REVERSE SHIFTING)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HOW TO GET GP (REVERSE SHIFTING)

I'e often wondered why manufacturers have the shift patterns/linkage as they do. I've tried the GP pattern and really enjoyed it, because ergonomically it just makes sense. What I ran into, was eventual confusion if I would switch bikes and then return to mine. After feeling that "OMG, which way do I shift!!??" anxiety in the middle of traffic, I decided to return it to stock. As much as I enjoyed the GP pattern, I did not enjoy the stupefaction attack on the road. That's one variable I could control, so I switched back. I also agree with zz; the linkage does seem a bit convoluted, (even with rearsets.)

Old 06-28-2008, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Where you been Jeff? I have been absent some, but I haven't seen you around in a while.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yeah; it's been awhile. Just been occupied doing the same old stuff. Went thru a spell where I got tired seeing many of the same types of questions and comments. (Probably the same as some of you high-number posters do.) Also couldn't get the site to work very well and got frustrated for several weeks. I'd post some long explanation and then the site wouldn't accept it or something. Was on one day, a few weeks ago, and responded to this one post about 6-8 times. Finally got so honked I just quit altogether.
Seems to be working better now.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds very similar to my experiences.[:@]Which rearsets do you have? It sucks becausemy brothers gsxr's switched over more easily, and they worked perfectly. Suzuki may have won this battle, I hate it whenthat happens.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I have some Harris. Nicely made, very adjustable. I tend to prefer a "high and to the rear" location for pegs. Seems to help keep feet (and knees) out of the way. I got mine several years ago when they were on sale; like 250-300$.
Is it just me, or are aftermarket bike parts just absolutely ridiculously priced any more??? Geeez.
(I'll keep my old stuff. It runs just fine. )

Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

When I used fold up pegs, using the standard shift pattern on a hard left turn was not doable because of my toes/clearance. With aftermarket rearsets the standard shift pattern works better. The pegs will not fold up and are adjustable ensuring toe clearance.

edit: Just a matter of personnal preference of course.