Engine Stalls While Riding.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Engine Stalls While Riding.....

Bike is a 1994 ZX6e (US version of ZZR600)

Well, this is confusing and a bit hard to explain...but I'm gonna try my best here. Generally this happens after I've been riding for atleast 15 mins or so. It only seems to happen when I start to push it and hit higher speeds/rpms. It will be running fine and then just lose all accelertion when I turn the throttle. No go, nothing happens. If I let the clutch out/slow down it dies. And at times holding it at constant throttle it will buck a little.

After it dies out (and I'm sitting like a jacka$$ on the side of the road) it won't start back up. I usually have to wait a good 5-10 mins. before it kicks over again. ANd when it finally does, rpms at idle are higher than normal (around 3-4k).

Anyone have an idea what this may be? Stuck floats flooding the engine? I dunno. Please help

Old 05-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Engine Stalls While Riding.....

Wow, this forum is really jumping.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Just a thought, is the vent clear in your fuel cap?? if not, a vacuum will stop fuel reaching the carbs and if the mix is weak because of lack of fuel, the enginecould idle faster?

Art

Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I know you have already checked this...but I had a similar problem because cables hooked up to battery terminalswere loose. Just a thought...

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm having a similar problem. I'll get it running at speed then it will hesitate after I come to a stop and take off again. My thoughts are that it is not burning off all the gas. The same thing with the high idle once it's warm. In neutral I can hit the throttle just a hair and it'll shoot up to 3-4k and take several seconds to come down after I've let off the throttle. Cables aren't loose, I've done it with the tank off to the side running from a long fuel line so I can see that my throttle is actually back at the idle screw. It eventually comes back down, though. I have tried adjusting my mixture but it has little to no effect. It's very confusing.

As I was saying, my theory is that it's not burning off all the gas when the rpms come back down when coming to a stop. The rpms are forced down because of the transmission, but the fuel isn't evacuated. Then when you take off it hesitates. I am currently trying to deal with this problem. By the way, hate carbs now. HATE them.

Someone give suggestions/thoughts/ideas. As it is I'm going to try to lean out the mixture a bit more to see if that helps. I am at a loss.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

i had the problem of idleing really high... all i did was replace the jets and replaced the little O-rings in the carbs and made sure the diaphrams were sealed tight and it took care of the problem... you could always take it to the dealer though. but i really dont like messing with carbs either

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm probibly wrong b/c my wife always says I am but I rode with a guy that had the same problem at higher speeds and it was b/c his kickstand was tight enough to and as the wind became stronger it would slightly push it down to where it would kill the engine. Check ur kickstand to see if it's wiggelly (getting scientific) both when it's down and up it's usually the similest things that will get you. Yet us know if any of this helps